39°

Daniel ParkEven greater than a picnic at the park on a warm summer day, plus he plays violin

March 9, the Central Iowa Symphony will be playing a concert at Ames City Hall filled with talented musicians from different cities in Iowa, and one of which is from Ames High. Junior Daniel Park will be performing on the violin. Park, who is a junior, will be performing with a fellow violinist in a symphony composed of 80 people. Park, who is involved in orchestra, symphonic band, jazz band, pep band, and drum line, beat out five other contestants to perform with the symphony. “There were two rounds, first and final, and five people made the finals,” Park said. “In the first round, we played for the judges and parents, and the final round we played for whoever wanted to be there.” Park has attended Iowa State music camps for the past four years, he has performed second violin in 2004 and 2005. In 2006 and 2007, Park performed percussion with the Iowa State Honors Orchestra. In 2003, he was the co-concertmaster for the Iowa Junior Honors Orchestra and was also selected into the Des Moines Symphony Alliance Honors Orchestra. The Central Iowa Symphony is composed of 60-plus professional musicians, music educators, accomplished amateurs, and student performers from Ames and surrounding counties. The symphony has been going strong for 20 years, and offers a four-concert subscription season and many different summer programs. The Central Iowa Symphony will be performing at the Ames City Hall at 7;30 tonight, the cost of admission is five dollars.