Beautiful Mess: New Year’s Resolution

Anna Ogilvie, In-Depth Editor

I’ve never been much for New Year’s Resolutions. It’s not that I wouldn’t be able to stick to it, (which could be debated) but a time where I have to write out everything in my life that I should be doing that I’m not on a piece of paper just doesn’t feel right. Having too many New Year’s resolutions can sometimes become unrealistic.

Maybe you could study an extra 45 minutes each night to clinch a higher score on your ACT, wrap yourself up in layers and hit the trails to train for that 5k, and blow off the dust on your piano that you haven’t touched since you were dragged to lessons in elementary school, which would all be great things to do. But realistically with second semester beginning, you may be more overwhelmed than you think. Quickly the list of resolutions becomes lost in a pile of things taking higher priority.

So here we have a dilemma. The pressures from media and society are telling us that this is the time to realize that our “old selves” aren’t good enough. We need that new gym membership, the new phone, and to change our lifestyle.

Here’s the thing. You are truly more than good enough.

Halfway through the year and here’s your chance to finish the new semester stronger than ever. You don’t have to be top of the class to make a difference in your homework effort, make sure you get to class on time, or even ask some questions. Without realizing it, making a conscious effort to doing those things could be even better than a full blown resolution.

These conscious efforts don’t have to be all classroom related either. See an old classmate from middle school that you haven’t talked to in years in the hallway? Give them the nod. It really doesn’t take much to make a difference. For seniors, you may only have five months left with these people that you’ve grown up with and it won’t be long before everyone starts to head their own ways. Don’t spend any more of your time stuck in a bitter grudge that you don’t really know why you are still holding onto, it’s not worth it.

The same concept goes for freshmen, sophomores, and even juniors as well. That person in your Earth and Space or US History class that you feel like you would have a killer friendship with but you don’t have the guts to go over there and talk to them, what are you doing? Come on. Now don’t be creepy about it and stalk them on all kinds of social media, just go ahead and introduce yourself. This person may reciprocate the friendship and they may not, but just taking the step and going for it is worth it.

Big resolutions are kind of like watching the ball drop on TV for the first time. You’ve got all of this hype and anticipation and when it actually happens you ask, “Wait, did I blink? That can’t be all. Is the ball stuck?” But when you look around and you see all your friends and family laughing and you just have to go with it and join in. Enjoy the ride, Ames High.