The voices of Ames High

Lucas Bleyle and Ames High, Print Editor

Contrary to public expectation, last week’s election resulted in a Trump victory. While Clinton won the popular vote, the Electoral College count ended with 289 electoral votes for Trump and 228 for Clinton. The results were also in sharp contrast with the mock election held at Ames High School, which gave the election to Clinton with a vote count of 607 to 225. Naturally, this election brought about an immense response from Ames High students. Following fourth period on Nov. 9, students chalked the concrete before the school with a multitude of positive messages and rainbows to alleviate anxiety from students scared by a Trump victory.  

Lisa Cochran, Editor in Chief “A Trump presidency is something that is frightening to us as millennials. I am not alone in describing my experience of waking up to a multitude of New York Times notifications in tears. When I came to school that day and saw the response and the innumerable messages of love and respect, I came to a conclusion. Donald Trump won’t ‘make America great again’, but if we can unite in the same way that Ames High students did yesterday, we can.” Lucas Bleyle, Print Editor

Lucas Bleyle, Print Manager “We awoke on the ninth of November to a changed world. Students and teachers alike walked the path of routine with minds deeply preoccupied in a reality no one expected. Heads were downcast. Faces were somber. Eyes full of disbelief. Voices cracked as often as they did not. Tears were shed. There were no signs of jubilation or victory. In this election, no one won.”

15027633_1158809700875450_431396809746379631_n

Mr. Mooney, History Teacher “The most significant part of my job as a teacher is to be a good role model for young people. I try to emulate empathy, kindness, compassion, respect, tolerance, decency, fairness, etc. I feel like I have been kicked in the gut by the electorate for choosing Mr. Trump as the role-model-in-chief for the U.S.”

Mr. Webb, English Teacher “Try to keep an open mind and see what happens. It’s made me aware that we have two radically different, competing world views in this country, and I think people just genuinely don’t understand the opposite side. I hope this launches some discussion so we can understand each other better because I think that leads to unity. We need more listening and less rhetoric.”

Anonymous “I’m worried. I’m worried for my mother and father because without Obamacare we would be broke paying for my mother’s medical treatment. I’m worried for my grandparents, for my grandmother who can’t get out of bed. But more than anything, I’m worried for my friends who are gay, my friends who are trans, my friends who are black or immigrants or women. I’m worried that I’ll have to slide back into the closet I’ve so recently come out of.”

Amy Cyr and Ella Slade “I’m proud of this high school, but I’m ashamed of America.”

Chiara Travesset “America is known as the land of opportunity and freedom for millions. The population of the United States is diverse and that is what makes it so unique and beautiful. By electing Trump, however, the United States showed how full of hate and discrimination it could be. The day after election day, millions of POC, LGBT+ people, women, Muslims, Latinx, and other minorities woke up to a nation that had sent out a clear message of hate. America has failed the very people that make this country what it is and told them that this is not their place. We, as a nation, should be embarrassed and scared, for this is not what America is about. America is for everyone. We must fight against this message of hate and spread love.” 

Thomas Delay “Donald Trump the person is not scary to me. However, the fact that 59,000,000 Americans support him is absolutely terrifying. We need to be stronger than this. We need to show the world that Donald Trump’s sexism, bigotry and inconsistency are not who we are.”

Anu Lamsal “It’s hard to describe the moment I found out my future and life were altered and harmed forever. It felt as if someone had wrenched my heart out, stomped on it, and still had the audacity to say nothing has changed.” 

Grace Kim “I’m surprised, angry, confused, and just speechless about the results. The best thing to do now isn’t to yell F Donald Trump or vandalize stuff, but to fight for love and equality through civil disobedience or peaceful protests. Love trumps hate, and don’t be mean.”

14991833_1055741717856611_4480612734671738491_n

Maria Kozakova “The only real winner this week was fear. To every Black, Muslim, immigrant, female, Latino, and LGBTQ student at Ames High: I love you. And to those who still feel as if the results of this election won’t change anything, I simply ask you to look around our halls and understand that the right to the air we breathe, the soil underneath our feet, and our bodily and spiritual autonomy isn’t as guaranteed for some as it has always been for you.”

Sean Prell “I always tried to look on the bright side and make people see the positive side of matters. The sad realization that came to me last night is almost half of the US population thinks the complete opposite. Knowing that they think being sexist, racist, and being completely ignorant is OK, makes me feel uncomfortable.”

Lucy Ching “I don’t understand how a racist, sexist, bigot, is going to represent our country. It’s shaping four years of children’s lives right now.”

Bella Guyll “Well, as an American I am deeply embarrassed and worried for our future. At the same time, however, I continue to be amazed by the amount of humility, love and support evident, not only in Clinton’s campaign, but also the vast majority of the American people.” 

Noelle Flugrad “We live in a time when we need to remember that we must stand united. Even in the devastating results we received. Individually you may not be racist or homophobic, but you voted for a man who openly is.”

Aria Lippolis “Conversion therapy is at an all time high. People that are in the LGBTQ community are killing themselves. It’s awful. And people say that an accusation of rape is going to ruin a man’s career this proves against it. He’s in the double digit numbers for rape accusations and he get’s president. It’s a huge disappointment. I’m scared because I’ve had to call a lot of people just to make sure they’re alive today- because of hate crimes or killing themselves.” 

Mrs. Sullivan, History Teacher “The sun will rise again.”