It’s Okay With Me Dance

Mykah Kennedy, News Editor

As Valentines Day approaches, you may be wondering who to call your valentine this year. At the 14th annual It’s Okay With Me Dance held by the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Ames along with Ames High’s own Spectrum, anyone of any gender can be your valentine.

At the dance, there will be food and drinks provided by Spectrum. There’s also a separate room from the dance floor in case you need a break. It’s informal, so you can wear your favorite comfy clothes like jeans and dance the night away.

The dance will be held at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Ames on Friday, February 13th from 8:00-11:00 pm. The cost is $5 at the door and is for high school students only.

“Last year the money went to the Trevor Project, which is a helpline for LGBTQ+ people,” said junior and Spectrum co-president, Olivia Leslie.

All money raised this year will go to the Lavender Umbrella Project, which was made “to assist all people in developing healthy and positive concepts of gender identity and sexual orientation through education of service providers direct service to youth,” according to their Facebook page’s description. The project was founded in 2012 in order to make our community a better place for LGBTQ people.

The goal of the dance is to raise money and awareness for the LGBTQ community and to have fun while doing it.