John Hughes Movie Review

McKenzie Reimer, Co-Editor In Chief

As it is the month of romance, it becomes a necessity to have amazing movies to watch when you’re inevitably sad and alone with only a cat to love. Although, not just any movies will do for this month long love fest. I think we all know what I’m talking about. I’m not only bringing out the big guns, I’m bringing out biggest guns I can find, the John Hughes collection.
John Hughes was born in 1950 and sadly passed away on August 6th, 2009. He worked on over 35 projects during his lifetime. During the late 80s through the early 90’s, John scripted and directed some of the most successful and loved films of our generation. Some examples include, but are not limited to, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and the Home Alone series. With such a brilliant mind, that can create such brilliant stories, one must eventually wonder, where would one start with a John Hughes movie marathon? Out of all his movies, which ones are the best to watch? Well, dear reader, please be confused no longer, this article is here to help you. So, without further ado, I give you, the best John Hughes movie review (mild spoilers ahead).
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is an absolute classic. This film was written, directed, and co-produced by the man in question, John Hughes. Set in the late ‘80s, Ferris Bueller follows a high school slacker, who just wants to have a day off from school. He feigns sick to stay home and ends up having a crazy adventure, with his stick in the mud best friend Cameron, whilst simultaneously breaking the fourth wall regularly. This movie is great starting point for a movie marathon because it’s light hearted and makes you laugh your butt off. It shows the dedication John Hughes had for movies, he actually wrote the screenplay in just a week and managed to make it one of the top-grossing films of 1986.
The second movie on the list would have to be Pretty In Pink. This film stars Molly Ringwald as Andie Walsh, a social outcast within the society of ‘80s high school. Like all typical teen movies, she has an oddball best friend, Duckie who is hopelessly in love with her, and sabotages most of her potential love interests. Love eventually conquers all, and she begins to date a rich kid named Blaine. Obviously, things go awry when cliques and social pressures get in the way of these two teens, and their love. Blaine must now make a choice on the night of prom, that will change their future together forever! Okay, so that might be a bit of a dramatic overstatement, but Pretty In Pink is actually an incredibly good film. The plot is cheesy, but what can you expect from a teen rom-com? Overall, Duckie provides incredible comic relief, and Molly Ringwald’s portrayal of Andie, really makes you believe that she is this teen girl, dealing with the social struggles of living in a place where you feel like you don’t belong.
To continue a John Hughes marathon, the obvious next film would have to be The Breakfast Club. If you haven’t heard of The Breakfast Club, then how are you even an actual human being? This movie once again stars Molly Ringwald, along with Emilio Estevez, Paul Gleason, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, and Ally Sheedy. Each actor plays a stereotypical teen from a different clique within their high school, but, on one fateful day, they all get stuck together in a Saturday detention, and social barriers and tensions are soon put to the test when the students must band together against their evil principal, thus forming, The Breakfast Club. What is so special about this movie, is the characters. Each has a backstory that challenges how they act within the eyes of their peers. John Hughes used this movie to challenge the idea of social class through the high schoolers. He deals with so many issues teens face in such a real, but funny way, that it’s not possible to call this movie anything but a classic. 
Finally, the number one John Hughes movie that has everything one could hope for in a teen comedy, is 16 Candles. Before you even ask, yes, this movie does in fact star Molly Ringwald, as well as, Anthony Michael Hall, and Justin Henry. 16 Candles set Molly up as a coming of age teenager named Sam Baker. It follows her on her 16th birthday as she navigates teenage hormones, while also dealing with the fact that everyone has forgotten her birthday. Because this is a John Hughes movie, and a typical rom-com, Sam has a crush on a popular guy, and the comic relief has a crush on her. What I enjoyed about 16 Candles, is the fact that it’s just a cute movie. I can watch it over and over again without getting tired of it. The characters are funny, relatable, and really show how talented John was at writing and directing. Although, like any good movie, there is always something sinable. The one bad plot point of the movie is that Sam and her obvious love interest, Jake Ryan, spend the whole movie mooning over each other, yet they don’t actually have a conversation with each other, until the end. Come on people! How are they supposed to be the ship to root for, when they have no screen time together!  
With the times a-changing, it’s important to look back on the films of the past. John Hughes was but one of the many talented directors that helped to make films what they are today. He was an incredibly talented writer and director and gave everything he had to each cinematic masterpiece that he was a part of, and the film industry has not been the same since he left us. Join the wonderful world of John Hughes movies this February season, it won’t disappoint you.