Spain Trip

Spain+Trip

Achala Thippeswamy, Reporter

As Spring Break approaches, students break out into spring fever; ready to kick back and relax with friends and family, travel, and enjoy the pleasant weather. Some students from Ames High are starting off spring break on the right foot by travelling to Spain with Spanish teachers Julie Dunkin and Kay Billings. Around 20 students are participating in an exchange program with a city in Segovia, Spain where they have the opportunity to experience the lifestyle and culture of another country.

Students are excited to travel with friends and learn more about the country of Spain, such as senior Ben Klein, who said, “I am excited to experience the culture, integrate into their life, and see the city of Madrid, in particular the Bernabéu stadium.” The travellers will be staying with host families in Segovia, some of whom travelled to America in the exchange program in September. “It is my first time travelling to Spain,” comments senior Maddy Spikes,  “I’m very excited and a little nervous simply because I don’t know if my Spanish will be that great. But other than that I’m looking forward to it.”

The students will be leaving to Spain on March 6th and returning home on March 16th. They will arrive in Madrid, tour the city of Toledo and then go to Segovia to meet their families. After being immersed in the culture, these Spanish students are bound to improve their Spanish skills and learn about the country through an exciting first hand experience.