69°

How Do I Ask for a Raise?

Asking for a raise can be nerve-racking and difficult, but luckily The Advice Fairy has all the answers.
Chantal de Macedo Eulenstein
In this week’s column The Advice Fairy offers advice on one of the most difficult tasks – asking for a raise. Created with Canva.

Wanting to ask your manager for a raise, but don’t have the guts to? That’s okay. Whether you have the guts or not, here are some tips to approach this burdening conversation:

Choose the Right Time

Timing is crucial. Choose a time when your manager is not too busy or stressed. Pay attention to their mood that day. Choose a time to bring it up privately when they are in a good headspace.

Show Your Qualification

Tell your manager your accomplishments and contributions since you started working. This goes to showing them that you believe you are qualified for a raise. 

Emphasize Your Value

Highlight how your efforts have positively impacted the company. Connect your contributions to the success of the team or the achievement of specific goals.

When asking for a raise there are a few things to keep in mind, including timing and preparation. Before asking for a raise, make sure you come prepared with a price point. Created with Canva. (Chantal de Macedo Eulenstein)

Be Specific About Your Request

Clearly state the amount you’re requesting, but be realistic and considerate.

You can say something like, “Considering my responsibilities and contributions to the team, I think a raise to [specific amount] would be fair.”

Don’t just request a raise without having a price in mind first.

Be Open to Negotiation

Your manager might not agree to the exact amount you propose. Keep your mind open to negotiation, and don’t be down if you don’t get the amount you want. Come to a compromise if you can.

Stay Professional and Positive

Make sure to keep the conversation professional and avoid becoming emotional or confrontational. Express your enthusiasm for your job and your gratitude for the opportunities you’ve had.

If all else fails and you don’t get the raise you want, don’t take it personally. Instead, take this as a learning opportunity. Wait for another opportunity, and try again. Now your manager knows you want a raise. If you know how to ask for a raise and go in prepared, your request should at least get careful consideration.