60°

What Do I Do About a Creepy Guy Who Stalks My Friends?

This February 14th, Yap equips you with all the appropriate advice to avoid that creepy someone.
Chantal de Macedo Eulenstein
In honor of Valentine’s Day, The Advice Fairy decides to write about one of the lesser-known evils of romance – creepy guys. Created with Canva.

Guys are the root of all problems. They’re stupid, clingy, and dumb. Even worse, obsessive creepy guys are all over the place. Most of the time, they just can’t take the hint!

Dealing with someone who is bothering your friends at school requires a thoughtful and proactive approach. You need to be careful, not only for them but for your own safety and wellbeing. Here are some steps you can consider taking:

Ignore them:

The obvious first step in cutting ties is avoiding the guy. This shows that you are not interested. However, guys are stupid and may continue to pester on.

Encourage Open Communication:

Encourage your friends to communicate assertively with the guy, letting him know that his behavior is unwanted and making them uncomfortable. Sometimes, guys are dumb and aren’t aware of how others may feel.

Establish Boundaries:

Advise your friend to make it clear to the guy that his behavior is not acceptable. Encourage them to set clear boundaries and be assertive in enforcing those boundaries.

Yap explains the first step she takes when faced with a creepy guy – ignoring them. Created with Canva. (Chantal de Macedo Eulenstein)

Involve Parents:

If the situation persists, it may be time to talk to parents. A meeting between parents, students, and school staff can help address the issue collectively.

Report to School Authorities:

If the behavior continues after your friend has made it clear that it is not welcome and becomes a significant issue, it’s time to report the incidents to school authorities. A conversation involving a teacher, counselor, or other school authority figure may also help resolve the issue. This can provide a structured environment for discussing concerns and finding solutions.

Encourage Group Support:

You and your friends should stick together and support one another. The more a group sticks together, the more resilient in dealing with unwanted attention. A group with numbers is much more intimidating than one person alone.

Know When to Involve Law Enforcement:

If the guy’s behavior escalates to a level of harassment or poses a threat, it may be necessary to involve law enforcement. Ensure that your friends are aware of their rights and know when to seek legal assistance.

Overall, prioritizing you and your friends safety and wellbeing is most important. No matter the steps that need to be taken, it’s important that you and your friends feel comfortable in your environment. 

Valentine’s day is a day to celebrate smart, independent, single women. Yay us!