71°

Are You Burnt Out From Studying?

Here are five tips from The Advice Fairy on how to achieve balance in your schedule and avoid burning out.
Chantal de Macedo Eulenstein
As second semester rolls around more and more students face burnout when it comes to studying. What is the best way to maintain balance? Created with Canva.

Let’s be real. I know how school feels – like a constant burden on our backs. The endless homework, the sleepless nights, and the rage over not feeling good enough. However, poor study habits can lead to burn-out – the biggest enemy of all students. Here are some tips on creating good study habits that last:

Finding a balance that allows you to rest and study is a difficult but important step in learning to manage time. It is also key in preventing what everyone dreads – burn out. Created with Canva. (Chantal de Macedo Eulenstein)

1. Take breaks.

The worst thing you can do to yourself when studying is overworking yourself. Remember that we are all human and that it is normal to take breaks. In fact, our brains need to take breaks to process information better.

1. Pace yourself.

Studying for school is a marathon, not a sprint. This applies to homework and tests – if you don’t pace yourself, you end up cramming. Procrastination is a concept I’m sure we’re all familiar with. And by learning to pace your assignments, when to study for tests, and what big dates you need to remember, you can kiss procrastination goodbye.

1. Don’t compare your progress with others.

Surely we’re all familiar with peer pressure. However, just because Billy is studying 8 hours a day doesn’t mean that Suzy needs to. In fact, Billy may benefit better from longer study sessions, whereas Suzy benefits from shorter ones with frequent breaks. Effective study practices look different for everyone, and it’s all about finding one that works for you.

1. Turn off your phone.

There is a reason why “screenagers” is a term now. We are literally addicted to our phones. While some may argue that they are a tool, I argue that they are a distraction, especially when trying to get work done. So here’s a simple solution: turn it off, and put it somewhere else. You may even want to put it in a different room. You could even lock it up. And until you finish your study session, don’t touch it.

1. Go to bed.

This last tip, and arguably the most important, is to get adequate sleep. Without adequate rest, our bodies and brains cannot function to their maximum capability. Students should get the proper amount of sleep at night to help stay focused, improve concentration, and improve academic performance. Especially as a student, sleep is essential for our brains to function to their full potential.

Finally, don’t let the pressure of school scare you. Dear Ames High, from one student to another, let’s champion school together. We got this.