60°

Bollywood, kinda like Hollywood

It’s difficult to say where the zany ideas of Hollywood begin and the actual production of them in Bollywood ends. Bollywood, the Indian spin-off of Hollywood (renamed to match its city of production, Bombay), is the largest film industry in the world, producing more than twice the number of Hollywood films each year, and selling billions of dollars in tickets internationally. Although typically acted in Hindi, India’s national language, Bollywood has branches all over the country, producing films in over 18 major languages. Many movies will also include English phrases common to most citizens. Just as Indians are taking over WEB staff, Bollywood films are taking over the nation, with cinemas devoted exclusively to Bollywood in more than eight major U.S. cities, as well as the entire state of New Jersey. What is the key to Bollywood’s success, you ask? There are a number of reasons, each as entertaining as the next. First and foremost, about one-fifth of any Bollywood film will consist entirely of singing and dancing. For the music-lovers out there, these catchy tunes will make anyone want to sing and dance along with the actors, even if you don’t understand the words. The sudden changes in scenery also make each musical feature unique and exciting. Second, love triangles and rebellion are the center of almost any Bollywood film. The twists and turns within the plot will keep viewers on the edge of their seats, awaiting the dramatic conclusion of the film. Finally, colorful costumes and jewelry will keep anyone in awe of Indian culture. It’s interesting to view the similarities between Hollywood and Bollywood films. After the release of a Hollywood blockbuster, a very similar Bollywood film will also be a hit in India about four months later, with a few minor changes. Because of this, Bollywood films have also been popular with Ames High students. “I like Bollywood because it mirrors my life,” junior Jon Link said. “My dream has always been to make an American spin-off.” Senior Becca Park is also a big fan of Indian cinema. “I got into Bollywood last year,” she said. “Every once in a while, the plot will be a little different from other movies I’ve seen.” If you’re ever in the mood for lots of dancing, intriguing story lines, and have three hours to spend reading captions, a Bollywood flick is the perfect way to spend your day.