39°

Girls’ volleyball2nd in the state!

There’s always been a buzz about which teams are good at Ames High, about which sports will make it all the way to state, and which ones will beat those rival teams. This year the buzz has turned into a roar as Ames High girls’ volleyball team begins their season. The team began with the strengths of last season (where they made it all the way to the semifinals of state), starting off with an amazing second place ranking in the state. The team’s line up hasn’t changed much since last year, either. The varsity squad lost only one starting player, middle blocker Marissa Banks. Sophomore Taylor Sloter is stepping into the position, along with last year’s other middle, Katie Marsden. “One of the team’s major strengths is our chemistry,” senior captain Amy Hamilton said. “We all have a lot of experience together, and everyone knows what they have to do.” Hamilton is the team’s setter for the third year, and is one of the team’s captains, along with senior Mandy Winkleblack. The team works hard together at practices, getting focused quickly and continuing to improve. “We don’t focus on rankings, we come to practice ready to get better and play our hardest,” Marsden said. The team doesn’t forget to have fun, though. “To get pumped up before games we run around, scream, yell, pound lockers, and flash lights on and off and have a kind of ‘strobe light’ party,” Hamilton said. “We do cheers and sing the national anthem in the lock room, too. It sounds pretty bad, but it pumps us up!” With only one of fourteen matches lost so far, the team is really showing their determination. “Our team decided on a few goals at the beginning of the season,” Hamilton said. “We want to be in the championship round of every tournament we’re in, to stop all runs at two or three points, and to win state.” The goals seem to be going well for the team, too. One of the team’s major improvements this year has been in tournament play. So far the team has come in first at the Ames Tournament and second at the Des Moines North tournament. “We have a lot more focus this year, we know that the games are really important to our season.” Hamilton said. The team’s most exciting moment so far this season? “When we beat Valley at one of our tournaments. That was pretty awesome.” Marsden said. “Everyone should come to our games, because they‘re exciting and we‘re a good team to watch and we need more fans cheering us on!” With another match up against Valley Oct. 3 and only two home games left before regionals, everyone should get out and support the team!