51°

For One More Daythe best new reading around

“If you had the chance, just one chance, to go back and fix what you did wrong in life, would you take it?” With a tagline like this, the new book For One More Day, by Mitch Albom, was sure to be intriguing, and it did not disappoint. For One More Day is a very enjoyable book that explores this deep question in a very thought provoking and entertaining way. Probably the most valuable aspect of the book is that it is very easy for average people to relate to. The book is about Charley “Chick” Benetto, a man whose life is destroyed the day his mother dies. He leaves his wife and kids, loses his job, loses all of his money, and becomes an alcoholic. After 8 years of this horrible and abusive lifestyle, he finds out that he was not invited to his own daughter’s wedding and hits rock bottom.D eciding that enough is enough, he drives back to his hometown to commit suicide. On his way back, he gets into a bad car accident and ends up walking until he reaches his hometown’s water tower. He chooses to end his life by jumping off of the same water tower that he used to climb up as a teenager. He jumps but miraculously survives, and when he looks up, he sees his dead mother—the same mother that he had ignored for most of his life. The rest of the book chronicles Chick and his mother spending one more “normal” day together as though she were still alive. Chick learns about his mother’s life during this day and even ends up learning a lot about himself. He comes to realize that he had taken his caring and loving mother for granted while he yearned for the love of his father, who left the family when Chick was only 11. The main theme of this book is relationships and the choices in life that can affect these relationships, mainly with family. As a child, Chick’s father tells him, “You can be a mama’s boy or a daddy’s boy, but you can’t be both.” Chick chooses to be a daddy’s boy and treats his mother terribly. Throughout the book, many examples of how Chick’s mother stood up for him are shown, along with just as many examples of how Chick did not stand up for his mother. This helps Chick realize how poorly he had mistreated his mother while she was still alive. Mitch Albom, who has written the best-selling books Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven, is a very unique author who always seems to use the theme of death to create very inspiring and captivating books. While this book was not on the same level as his previous books, it was still enjoyable and kept my interest throughout its pages. He blends past and present, fantasy and reality, and life and death to create a very uncommon atmosphere, making this book hard to put down. And at only 197 pages, it was very short (it only takes a few hours to read). Of course, the impact it made may stick with me forever. Although For One More Day is not in the same league as Albom’s previous works, I would still recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed any of Albom’s written works, and to those who enjoy sappy, sentimental literature.