68°

Our cozy Media Center

Whether it’s drink policies or printer paper limits, picking out any real or imagined faults of the Media Center has become a school-wide past time for Ames High students. However, this may be changing thanks to donations from a great supporter of the Media Center, the late Dr. Ralph L. Farrar. Farrar, former Ames High principal of 29 years, had a vision of making education a long-term investment in human dignity, human potential, and in community life. The importance of reading was a large part of this humane environment he wished to create, as he often said he “always had a great love of reading.” As a tribute to this, he kindly left money to improve the MC in whatever way was best seen fit. Over the past month, the MC utilized this money. The result is that it is sporting some new features. By the large window in the back there are now three high-top tables with two chairs each. Many students have reported a sort of coffee shop feel to these additions. Located near the entrance is a black poofy chair, as well as a large area rug set out in front of the TV/VCR viewing station. In the reference section there is another poofy chair and between the biography and fiction sections there is a new magazine rack. What’s so special about a new magazine rack? “We’re excited because not only will we have current issues available, but also back issues of all the magazines we offer,” Media Specialist Kirsti Minion said. The decision to purchase furniture was made by Minion and the other media specialists after consulting Farrar’s wife, Jo Farrar, who supported the idea. Furniture was picked instead of something like more books. “We wanted to put it towards something that would last longer and the students would enjoy using,” Minion said. The new furniture also aims to make the Media Center more homely and solidify its place as the “heart” of the school, something that Farrar strived to achieve. So far the response from students has been overwhelmingly positive. Senior Austin Bell cited the poofy chairs as nap-worthy, and even though senior Bo Peng says he’s “afraid of heights and wouldn’t sit in them,” he can’t deny that the high-top tables “look nice.”