58°

Second semester seniors, guys. We rule the school.

Senioritis, defined as a decrease in motivation in studies displayed by students that generally occurs towards the end of their high school careers, has swept the halls of Ames High School. Not only has it infected many seniors, but their symptoms are also far more serious then the typical infection. Those infected show symptoms, some of which include slowness, procrastination, apathy regarding schoolwork, and a tendency toward truancy, also known as playing “hooky.” “I actually never do homework at home. Sometimes I don’t even bring my backpack home,” senior Rohan Agarwal said. “I get together with my friends to do our chemistry lab and then three hours later we haven’t done anything, so I just do it in class the next day.” Agarwal is just one of the many seniors seen doing homework in classes. “It’s just not common to hear of doing homework at home anymore,” senior Elizabeth Cohea said. For some, senioritis is affecting their daily routine. Not only has it had a drastic effect on school, but the entire lives of young seniors are being infected. “It’s definitely affecting my sleep,” senior Jessie Svec said. “I put everything off until the very last minute.” Although many students have homework, some have completely eliminated it by taking as few classes as possible, or taking easier ones that don’t have much homework. With the more severe cases of senioritis, seniors have almost eliminated classes all together. “I don’t have any high school classes until 6th period. It’s nice to have ISU classes because they’re optional,” senior Aaron Jacobson-Swanson said. Senioritis has been known to be severely contagious, only making the situation worse, and has a low recovery rate. Very few students make a full or any recovery before the end of the school year. The very rare and occasionally cured student only occurs after intense treatment. Treatment for senioritis can include several reality checks a day, poor grades, and extremely disappointed teachers. Although treatment may be affordable and easy, recovery is highly uncommon. Most students end their case of senioritis by completing the school year. “I try to be in school the least amount of time I can,” senior Katie Linduska said, “I’m beginning a count day until graduation day.” While it’s mostly only seniors who contract this infection, there’s no saying who will get it next. “It’s not really senioritis any more,” senior Joe Thompson said. “It’s more like schoolitis.”