62°

Who? Mike Jones. Where? VEISHEA

“I stay flossin’ on that candy paint,” sounds like a like a pretty worthless statement doesn’t it? But to rap fans. it is a classic line to the song “Flossin’” by the up-and-coming rap star Mike Jones. VEISHEA 2007 is proud to entertain Jones as its feature musical act at Live @ VEISHEA. Last year, Nappy Roots was the big name group that hit VEISHEA, and they made a huge splash. Many Ames High students attended the concert a year ago and it was the highlight of their year. The arrival of Mike Jones is going to be greeted with great anticipation in the weeks leading up to the performance. “Back then they didn’t want us, but now they all up on me and Mike Jones,” senior Grant Simpson said. VEISHEA is going to take place during the week of April 16-22 and looks to build off the success of last year. After being canceled in 2005 due to rioting, VEISHEA sailed smoothly last year and it is a good bet that it will stay that way for years to come. “I’m glad there weren’t any major incidents last year,” senior Lauren Dougherty said. “It was a big improvement from the last time VEISHEA was held.” Jones is not the only artist that is going to leave his mark on Ames this year; the well-known group Saliva will stop by the campus to play some of their raucous hits. Their hits include “Always,” “Your Disease,” and “Click Click Boom.” Also playing is Story of the Year, Scratch Track, Hello Dave, Keepers of the Carpet, No Better Cause, Wreckage of the Modern City and of course there is the always-interesting Battle of the Bands. All these artists will be performing in Live @ VEISHEA, Saturday April 21, from 6 p.m. until 3 a.m., so prepare yourself for a late night of great music. Although music is a huge part of the VEISHEA atmosphere, the food varieties also draw out many people. Once again, ISU is bringing back the delicious cherry pies fans rave about. “The pies are delicious in every way,” excited senior Jason Marrs said. About 10,000 of these pies are made annually and they are very easy to eat on the go. You can find these mouthwatering pies at Mackay Hall in the Joan Bice Underwood Tearoom on Osborn Drive, but you better get a pie before they are gone, because they sell out very quickly. If you are looking for somewhere to eat a meal during the late nights of VEISHEA, you should probably hit up the “Taste of VEISHEA.” The “Taste” is located along Union Drive, the street that runs in front of Lake Laverne. “Taste of VEISHEA” consists of vendors lined up along the street selling all kinds of food, from Happy Joe’s pizza to a crazy meat sandwich made up by some nut head. In fact, that nut head may be the hidden gem of the “Taste” and you might end up eating there five times before VEISHEA is over. VEISHEA is not only for college student, but it is for people of all ages. There is a lot to do this year; everything from watching Mike Jones perform his musical hits to eating delicious cherry pies. So go enjoy the atmosphere on the ISU campus. We guarantee that you won’t regret it.