54°

Ames hockey team heats up the ice, no word on swimming skills

Coming into the 2007-08 season, the Ames Varsity hockey team is looking to earn a trip to the Quad Cities to play in the state tournament, somewhere they haven’t been since the 2004-05 season. The Little Cyclones are lead by senior captain Brady White and junior assistant captains Jake Scebold and Ryan Marrs. Scebold, a Midwest High School Hockey League all star last year, has 23 points, 13 goals, and 10 assists, leading the team in each category. Junior goalie John Hopper and sophomore goalie Levi Mostrom have split playing time this year. Hopper has two wins with an average save percentage of 88.9% and Mostrom has three wins with an average save percentage of 87%. “We have one of the most talented teams in the league, but we need to find a way to play more together to become a better team,” Scebold says. “We’re building a new program with a new coach.” Under new head coach Chris Schmale, Ames has already matched last years’ win total with 5, and has an overall record of 5-8. The Little Cyclones took part in a new dry-land strength and conditioning program implemented by Schmale throughout the summer, and have continued it after practices. The theme for the year is commitment: commitment to work, commitment to each other, and commitment to winning. Power plays have been key for Ames, 16 of Ames’ 36 goals have come on the power play. “Coach is installing some new systems, ones we haven’t seen,” White said. “Our power play has been key for us this year. I think we have a good shot at making state. I want to go really bad since we haven’t been since my freshman year.” Although Ames is three games under .500, there are many more games to be played. The Cyclones have only played about one third of their lengthy schedule. After starting out 0-4 and looking like they may fall back into old habits, the Little Cyclones have won five of their last nine games. With a 3-2 record at home, Ames hopes to defend their home 13 more times. “We’ve got some tough games ahead,” Marrs said. “The Tri-City game at home in a few weeks will really show how good we are and may determine the rest of our season.” Ames’ next game will be on Tuesday, December 18th, at Waterloo. Their next home game is on Friday, December 28th, at 7 p.m. and each player hopes to see you there.