50°

Step Up sequel still a step down from quality

Stepping up to the top of the list of greatest hip-hop dance movies is Step Up 2: The Streets. The movie is the sequel to the almost legendary 2006 movie Step Up. Step Up 2 opens in a subway car in the city of Baltimore. Masked dancers from a local street group called “the 410” videotape random acts of hooliganism. One of the dancers is named Andie (Briana Evigan) and she is the main character of this cinematic adventure. “That girl from the previews looks hot,” Drew Schlosser said. “It makes me want to watch the movie.” What makes Andie so hot is her hip-hop dance style, and the fact that she is young and adventurous (kind of like the movie’s intended audience)! But her participation in the 410 leads her guardian, a friend of her late mother, to feel she is going down the wrong path. She needs help from an old friend to save her from being sent away. “Is the guy from the first one in Step Up 2?” junior Karissa Allyn asked longingly. “I want to see him dance.” Having very few options, Andie turns to the legendary Tyler Gage from the original Step Up who then saves Andie. He is a mentor to the youthful Andie, and Step Up is his own story of rags to dancing fame. After a small dance-off with some trampolines, Tyler arranges an interview to go to the Maryland School of Arts, where he studied in Step Up, and this is the only way Andie can stay in Baltimore. At this school there is a long tradition of ballet, which is in no way Andie’s specialty. During the interview she is cut short of her finish because the director is not pleased with her hip-hop style. But Andie is once again helped out by a friendly male figure. This time it is Chase, the golden boy of MSA (and he is also in You Got Served), and with Chase’s help she is accepted. Due to Andie’s excessive time at MSA, she is kicked out of “the 410”. She is initially heartbroken, but finds comfort when she and Chase form a new crew. The face quite the hardship when they are unable to perform crowd-pleasing moves at a local club. But every movie has its hardships and they fight back to top form for the huge underground dance competition: The Streets. The competition provides a climax of dope moves fueled by passion, despite the pouring rain. Step Up 2: The Streets is no You Got Served and definitely no Breakin’, but it brings some aspects from the great dance movies. From You Got Served is shows the amazing side of the underground dancing, especially crew battles. From Breakin’ it shows that the only place to dance for real is the streets. Finally, from the original Step Up, to be a successful dancer you have to fight for everything you want. Overall the movie has amazing dancing and a sub-par story line. It is recommended to those who love sick dance moves (like me), but not for those who require a thorough plot. But really, why is plot necessary when there are flips and flares?