60°

Economic woes put pressure on AHS students

These days, anybody who turns on the television or opens the newspaper is bound to come across a story about the current state of the economy. While people argue about whether or not the United States is in a recession, one thing is for certain: the economy is not in good shape, and the effects of it continue to be felt everywhere, including Ames High School. One area that particularly affects high school students is gas prices. With oil averaging about nearly four dollars a gallon around Ames, students have been forced to rethink the way they drive. “I tend to save errands; I save them all for one big trip,” senior MarleyBob Dobyns said. “I try and carpool, too.” Not only do students reconsider their driving habits, some have decided to leave their cars behind, and rely on alternative methods of travel, such as biking or taking the bus. “I don’t drive anywhere that I don’t have to; I bike as much as I can.” junior Dylan Clark said. While the price of gas is important to students, an even more basic item in their lives is being impacted as well: food. According to the Consumer Price Index, retail prices of food increased four percent in the United States in 2007. This was due to a number of factors, including increased costs of production and transport. Although a rise in prices for some items may seem insignificant, students still have to face the consequences. “Flying Burrito prices went up; it makes me so mad,” Clark said, visibly upset. “Guacamole is now $1.25 for a spoonful.” “Cookies, Etc. raised their prices,” junior Zoe Russell said. “It’s redunkulous.” For now, the status of the economy is uncertain. Some aspects, such as gas prices, are beginning to look up. The price of gas has been dropping steadily in the past few weeks (until the weather made production more difficult). But things look difficult for high school students nowadays as they continue to deal with the repercussions of a struggling economy.