58°

Summer stops, sports start, students suffer

As the school year is off and running, so are the fall sports at Ames High. All of the summer workouts and practices are finally put to the test. Boys golf and football, boys and girls cross country, and girls swimming and diving and volleyball are all in full swing. The boys golf team is off to a strong start. The team is led by seniors Anson Woodin, Gracen Kostelecky, Nathan Griffith, Ryan Marrs, and freshmen Kurt Martin and Christian Kaad. The team is currently in a battle with Valley for the CIML Iowa Conference lead. Last year, the team finished a very close 2nd place to the Tigers at the state tournament. Now, they are more determined than ever to take home the title. “We have the talent, but it’s going to be a tough road this year,” said Woodin. With three games under its belt, the football team has had its ups and downs so far this year. Working extra hard during the offseason, many weight room records were broken and some were shattered. The team participated in the Iowa State team camp and 7-on-7 tournament. “The games and camps really helped us prepare as a team for game situations,” said senior wide receiver Isaac Strohman. This extra work seems to be paying off. “The team is looking up,” said senior quarterback Miles Greenwald. “We have lots of key players back, and many talented, hard-working juniors are stepping up.” The varsity team plays a home game tonight at 7:30 against the Mason City Mohawks. “It’s going to be a fun game. We will play our best and try to get a win for Homecoming,” said Strohman. Strong preseason rankings show how talented both the boys and girls cross-country teams are looking. The guys, ranked 8th in the state, are led by seniors Cale Brakke, Quentin Ring, and Daniel Jahren, along with juniors Paul Hibbing, Devin Becraft, Leo Bird, and Brett Steelman. The girls team, ranked 5th in the state, is led by seniors Sarah Pesch, Rebecca Miller, and Austin Gerritson, juniors Bryanna Behning and Ellen Hansen, and freshmen Kelsey Dockstader and Courtney Martin. Come cheer on the runners at the Ames/ISU Invite, Saturday at the ISU cross-country course. The girls volleyball team is expecting big things this year. Two returning starters from last year’s team, seniors Taylor Sloter and Steph Keller, will provide the team with experience and leadership. Juniors Kionna Kellogg, Kira Boswell, Erin Smith, and Bri Goodman and sophomore Sammi Ausborn make up the rest of the varsity team. “From top to bottom, we have a strong team. We have been playing in leagues all summer and practicing hard, so it should be a great year” said Boswell. Year after year, Ames High has had a very talented girls swimming and diving team. They are not looking to disappoint this season. This year’s squad features Stephanie Koch, Natalie Enloe, Marley Dobyns, Taylor Steenblock, Chrissann Zuerner, Charlotte Quant, and Abby Rewoldt. The team’s strongest event this year is the 4 x 100 relay. “We’re very excited! This is the best team we have had in a while. We’re eager to get back to the state meet and show everyone what we are made of,” said Koch. If you don’t know when or where sporting events are, you can view the schedules on the Ames High web page. Come and cheer on the athletes this fall and show your Ames High pride.