44°

The Dark Knight stands out among summer movies

Why so serious? Get Some. Fully Charged. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Some taglines are as unforgettable as the movie they promote. These taglines graced the posters of this summer’s biggest movies; The Dark Knight, Tropic Thunder, Iron Man, and Pineapple Express. The Dark Knight was single handily the biggest movie of the summer grossing over $500 million, making it the second highest grossing movie of all time, behind Titanic. The Dark Knight” features the Batman comic series most famous villains, the Joker, played by Heath Ledger and Two-Face, played by Aaron Eckhardt. The Dark Knight has been praised for excellent character development and directing. Warner Bros. is even re-releasing The Dark Knight in January in hopes to win a posthumous Oscar for Heath Ledger. Until the release of The Dark Knight, Spiderman 2 was widely considered the best representation of comics in film, but now a standard has been set that makes the seven dollar ticket price worth it. This summer set a trend of comic book movies and Iron Man was a champion of the movement. Iron Man stars Robert Downey Jr. playing Tony Stark the alias of Iron Man. The movie also stars Jeff Bridges, of The Big Lebowski, as Iron Monger and Gwyneth Paltrow, that fat chick from Shallow Hal, as Pepper Potts, Downey Jr.’s love interest and assistant. Iron Man features a unique blend of 80’s action movie with a modern twist that keeps the movie from becoming just another comic book movie. Iron Man marks Robert Downey Jr.’s glorious comeback from various addictions to drugs, jail time and multiple stints in rehab. Downey Jr. has proven that his trouble filled past is behind him. Downey Jr. also starred in another major motion picture this summer in Tropic Thunder. Tropic Thunder is a hilarious achievement in cinematic history about several prima donnas who try to make a Vietnam era War movie also called “Tropic Thunder”. The movie’s main emphasis is to poke fun at the modern day film industry by making people laugh at its lunacy. It also stars Ben Stiller, as an action star on his last legs, and Jack Black, as a gaseous comedian with an addiction. However, the biggest surprise of the movie is an uncharacteristically funny Tom Cruise who plays a hotshot producer. Pineapple Express is the latest movie from Seth Rogen, who got fame through his works with Judd Apatow in the television shows Undeclared and Freaks and Geeks. Like the other movies he wrote, Superbad and Drillbit Taylor, Rogen wrote Pineapple Express at the age of 15. Pineapple Express is about a process server, Dale Denton, who witnesses a murder and drops a roach of Pineapple Express, a rare strain of marijuana. Denton, played by Seth Rogen, goes to see his dealer, James Franco, because Denton knows that the weed will lead to his dealer that would then lead to him. Pineapple express succeeds as the first film of the Stoner-Action genre. Stoners, the return of Robert Downey Jr., and a clown with a pencil trick to die for were some of the few excitements of the summer’s movie scene. And then there was The Happening, which we all wish we could forget about.