53°

Plethora of fall programming pleases plenty of people

Spongebob is hilarious and Chowder and The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack disgust while providing a level of sophistication the Ritz Carlton strives to achieve, but these shows are animated and therefore lack a certain of level humanity. If animation was an acceptable substitute for human acting, The Star Wars Clone Wars would be passable as a movie, but human acting is necessary and The Clone Wars was terrible. Where can people watch TV shows with real actors, not just voices? Anywhere but Nick and Cartoon Network, so it’s time to stop acting like a lonely third grader and flip it to channels that aren’t 24 or 31. The Office The Harry Potter novels were, simply put, generational. If read one after another, it is easy to see that the first book was meant for a child and the last one meant for a teenager on the cusp of adulthood. Every so often, a novel television series comes along that becomes part of the lives of those involved. The Office is the newest of these generational epics. “The Office is the only show I watch,” junior Kaitlin Estill said. “It makes my life worth living.” The Office has built up a rabid fan base that is as diverse as The Office and it’s pretty funny too. Just like The Andy Griffith Show and M*A*S*H* before it, The Office is something that will stick with the viewers for the rest of their lives. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia If The Office is the girl next door, then It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the girl across the tracks. The Office is the perfect blend of comedy, drama, and dramedy. Always Sunny is like that, minus the drama and dramedy. It’s just funny. It’s not an after-school special, exhibited by the show’s liberal use of a certain four-letter expletive and “adult situations,” whatever those are. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia airs on FX, cable channel 27, on Thursdays at 9. The entire series to date can be watched for free online at Hulu.com. 30 Rock Saturday Night Live has tripled its quality from eight years ago and Tina Fey can be thanked for the resurgence of America’s most popular sketch show. She has since then moved on to create 30 Rock, a show that just happens to follow The Office on Thursday nights. “30 Rock just makes Thursday nights that much better. It’s as funny as The Office and since they are two different shows I can laugh throughout the night,” freshman Jack Sanders said. 30 Rock is a show within a show that follows the life of Liz Lemon (Tina Fey), who tries to control a rowdy staff and a take life lessons from a ridiculous boss. Mad Men This show is amazing. The character development is, in the parlance of our times, dope. The plot isn’t hard to follow, but impossible to replicate, and the show has the awards to back it up. It is the first basic cable series to win the Outstanding Drama Series Emmy. The show is set in the early 60’s and follows Don Draper, a Madison Avenue ad executive with a shady past. The first two seasons of this show are available on DVD and the third season currently airs on AMC on Sunday nights at 9. Fall brings about many things- leaves falling, new fashion, and some seriously awesome television shows. Animation is quickly rising as a legitimate medium in the television world, but as long as there are actors like Steve Carell and writers like Tina Fey, the robots won’t take over anytime soon. Spongebob reruns occur far too often so whenever those get old The Office and 30 Rock won’t disappoint, but whatever you do, do not watch The Mentalist.