62°

AHS clubs will continue fight for equal rights, end to Prop 8

To the Editor: On Tuesday, November 4, history was made with the election of Barack Obama. However, on the same night that one social precedent was set, another far less progressive precedent was also being put into place. On the ballots of all 50 states, the names of John McCain and Barack Obama were present, but on the ballots in four states, there was a chance to make history by providing equal rights to all human beings. The most famous case of this was California’s Proposition (Prop) 8. The official ballot title of Prop 8 is "Eliminates Rights of Same-Sex Couples to Marry." All four states with measures similar to this all passed. In California, this managed to pass by a small margin. Spectrum (Ames High’s gay/straight alliance), Ames High Progressive Club, and Ames High Art Club, after celebrating Barack Obama’s historic victory, heard about the passage of Prop 8. The party seemed to die. Members of these clubs stared at their televisions and at each other, and asked "What? People voted to eliminate rights?!" The United States of America is the land of rights, the land of the free. Our presidents each must swear an oath of office to uphold the Constitution. That document states that nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." Prop 8 clearly denies same-sex couples liberty. For decades people have fought for, and won equal rights. Women fought for and won the right to vote. Great Americans like Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream that one day racial prejudice would not be a way of life in America. Today, an African-American is the president-elect. Modern generations have fought for, and received their civil rights. Black power, red power, women’s voting rights, equal pay, the death of Jim Crow. These are all looked upon as great moments in our history. Our society continues to progress. We, the members of Spectrum, Progression Club, and Art Club look at the passage of Proposition 8 and the three other similar state laws like each passage is a huge step backwards for our society. "We the People," all of us people, deserve equal rights. The California Supreme Court stood up for what is right and what is constitutional when it originally found a same-sex marriage ban to be unconstitutional. We look forward to the restoration of this ruling, with other states to follow and the continued progression of equal civil rights. Sometimes it takes America some time, but we live in a country where freedom and liberty are able to prevail over fear and inequality. Same-sex marriage will not be an exception. We will continue to fight. Spectrum (Ames High’s Gay/Straight Alliance) Ames High Progressive Club Ames High Art Club -This letter was composed by Caitlin Lawrence on behalf of Spectrum, Ames High Progressive Club, and Ames High Art Club.