37°

Cold weather doesn’t stop girls golfers

How does one practice for an outdoor sport when there is still snow on the ground? Freezing temperatures and blistering winds make it hard to focus. Even though this is a nearly impossible task, the girls golf team has found its way around this obstacle. "We began practice March 24th in the gym behind the bleachers," said senior Lauren Schwab, a varsity golfer. "Practice indoors is a lot of conditioning exercises, and the traditional walk around the school with your bag, or a pair of medicine balls." The team makes due with using gymnastic mats to swing off of. "It’s the best we can do when we don’t have the ability to go outside," Schwab said. On some nicer yet still chilly days, the team makes it outdoors to practice. Weather may seem to be a huge factor in golf, but according to Schwab, weather is more of a mental problem. "You either complain about it and let it affect your playing, or you just suck it up and deal with it because it’s not going to change that day." The team returns three state players from last year’s team including senior Erica Thompson, junior Karly Bergquist, and Schwab also a senior. The rest of the varsity team has yet to be determined. Golf is different than some other sports in the varsity and JV world. The whole team practices together, and varsity isn’t particularly set for the whole year. "We only take six players on varsity, and sometimes six on JV to any given meet," said Schwab. The Cyclone girls are amongst the top teams in the state this year. They still have their top four scorers from state last year minus junior Katie Purcell due to injury. Placing third at the state tournament the past two years is surely on the minds of the girls. The returning conference champions are the team to beat this year though. Experience will help lead the cyclones to their ultimate goal of state champions this season. With four home meets on the schedule this year the team encourages everyone to come out and cheer them on. "We would like to see a bunch of people out supporting us and our quest to be undefeated on the season," Schwab said. April 21st is the first home match against Waukee. The Ames Country Club will host all the home events as well as part of the conference meet.