52°

Marcus Savages shreds, threads and turns skaters’ heads

Since it’s open in 2002, skate boarders and inline skaters have tried to conquer the Ames community skate park. Most halfheartedly spend their free time working on their kickflips and ollies. Others spend most afternoons mastering grinds, grabs and transfers. These tricks are by no means easy, but the handful of skaters that live and breathe on four wheels, these tricks are effortless. This handful of extreme skaters have nothing on Marcus Savage. “I wake up, eat and then skate.” savage commented. This simple life allows for plenty of practice. “On the days I don’t work I usually get here at 1:00 P.M. and leave around 7:00 or 8:00 P.M.” Savage said. Six hours of practice almost everyday from late March to early November add up to more total practice time than most Ames High teams. Not even the cold Iowa winter can stop Marcus from skating. He does however have to travel to Saylor Park in Ankeny. Savage’s practice has paid off in full. He currently has three local sponsers. His sponsers include, MRDR, Saylor Park and Civilized Skateboards. These sponsors are all Iowa based but are in no way small. Marcus skates for these sponsors in all types of competitions. “I usually win or place pretty high in local contests,” Savage said. Savage most recently competed in the Top Shop skate competition in Minnesota. The Top Shop competition is a national amateur team competition. Last year his team placed fifteenth at the competition and this year they did just as comparable. Marcus doesn’t just travel for competition, he trips to every destination imaginable. “I’ve been to California, Florida and just anywhere you can think of,” Savage said. Savage goes to distant places where he meets all sorts of famous skaters. “I skated with Kris Marcavich for a couple days.” Savage said. For those uneducated in skateboard lore, Kris Marcavich has been featured in almost every skate magazine thinkable. With so much skating and travel, one might ask, where does school fit into all of this? “I am taking a break from school right now, but i will be back next year,” Savage said, “You can’t get anywhere without school.” Marcus would be a junior right now if he was enrolled. Marcus’ time isn’t spent just on skating. He works thirty to forty hours a week at Flame and Skewer. An almost full time job and amazing skating skills, Marcus is an impressive kid. “It’s not a matter of if he’ll do it, but when,” junior Ryan Chellew said. Marcus enjoys every aspect of skating and will try anything he thinks is cool. “I love everything: rolling, cruising, doing tricks, landing stuff and rolling away,” Savage said. The real question for Marcus is; whether to try and go professional or not? “I have never really tried to make skating a career,” Savage said, “If it’s my fate, then it will happen.”