57°

Let citizens share their own money

Normal 0 0 1 411 2344 19 4 2878 11.1282 0 0 0 I’m not a politician, so when I’masked to write conservative pieces (because I am the only thing close to suchon the WEB staff), I hesitate in fear that I’ll simply regurgitate simplecounterarguments to a liberal stance which are easily disposed by those whoidentify more with politics. However, I do believe that there exist fundamentaldifferences among us which manifest themselves in the macroscopy of largerdifferences of perspective, political and otherwise. These are our beliefs. So where, in a world where health care news and talkbombards our lives, do I stand on the topic? Simply, I know I’m supposed to sayI oppose nationalized health care, but what wisdom can I draw from my beliefsthat would account for what could seem such an insensitive standpoint? Much. When I think about the health care issue, I alwaysthink, "Wouldn’t it be great if the world was problem-free; if we couldsolve everything and make it all right?" It’s kind of like "IfEveryone Cared" by Nickelback. You know, "If everyone cared and nobodycried/If everyone loved and nobody lied/If everyone shared and swallowed theirpride/Then we’d see the day when nobody died." But it’s just not this way.Unfortunately, in the same way that Nickelback also wrote the shamefullylicentious and racist "Animals" (which I won’t provide the lyricsfor,) we will simply not see every problem in the world solved. Should we giveup on helping others, then? No, but we are foolish to think that stealing fromthe rich and giving to the needy in an already failing economy is not anaffordable act of charity. Let me be clear: I’m not advocating leaving the poor onthe street; I believe that according to the Bible, which I base my beliefs on,care for the poor is a virtuous characteristic; however, I also discern thatthe heart of the giver is of greater concern, and when money is given to thepoor as dictated by the government, the only thing that results is discontent,and it is this that our country cannot afford. If I know that either way I willbe kept healthy by others’ money and I am losing more and more of my paycheckall the time, I do not want to continue working; I do not want to continuelooking for a job. I do not see why I need to compete in the world wheneveryone else will provide for me. Our economy is already fragile, andnationalizing health care is simply too large a risk. Communism (forget the connotation and consider theword) can work, but not under force, which is what we are looking at. The factis that it ought to remain the responsibility of every individual to give tothe poor out of his own will, and that the government ought not to meddle inthe financial standings of Americans any more than it already does. The poorneed money, but they need it from you and I, not a Robin Hood government.