48°

Film Festival a Successtival

Imagine for a moment a place where super-villains, coffee, people throwing up, and detectives can all come to dwell in haphazard harmony… you’d wake up to find that this magical mystical place actually existed on earth in the form of the Ames High Film Festival. The annual festival, thrown by the Thespian Society, introduces movies that are soon-to-be Internet sensations, and awards random gold covered objects to budding actors and directors, for winning awards that the Acadamy wishes they had come up with themselves. This year’s festival was slightly different from ones in years past, however, due to the fact that the winners of the nights awards were not allowed to make speeches after they received their various awards. To make up for this break with tradition other rituals were upheld rigorously, the most blatant of these being the technology troubles that seem to plague every event that has at least one computer. The first film of the night was sophomore Nick Royer’s Part-Time Superman . The film chronicled the evil doings and downfall of “Dr. Laser” including a nuclear war and some pretty amazing dance moves that would make Justin Beiber jealous. It took home the cool can of awesomeness for the best use of a Nuclear explosion and best special effects. Freezetag: the Movie, directed by junior Sam Ennis, was the next film to premier. The movie tells the story of Biff, a teenage boy with gastro-intestinal problems, as he looks for a third person to join his freeze-tag team, “The Chilidogs,” which he has created to defeat the rival freeztag team, “The Venom Tornados.” He does all this while trying to keep from spitting on the object of his affections, the beautiful Petunia. Along with winning the award for funniest film, the movie took home the awards for best editing, senior Pierce Hanway won best supporting actor, the leader of the Venom Tornados, and the best use of English teacher James Webb. The first glimpse of the nights detective theme arose in the third film to air, senior Jean Malave’s The Dearly Departed own the Night . This mystery movie dealt with a pair of detectives trying to track down a murderer. The film, along with being the shortest one submitted, won the award for latest submission. The second detective movie, senior Neil Gerstein’s Close Encounters of a Slender Kind, dealt with two detectives trying to find a kidnapped child thought to be taken by the elusive “Slenderman.” Due to the aforementioned technology troubles, the audience was not able to see the climatic fight scene in this thriller. The film did take home the awards for best use of senior James Chidister’s fancy pants, best fight scene, and best use of crayons. The big winner of the night, however, was the last film to premier, junior Cody Brown’s Scary Door 3 . The film featured junior Kevin Babcock as a federal marshal who must make an unwilling alliance with the senior detective to solve a series of kidnapping cases. In addition to taking home the most coveted award of the golden lightsaber for best picture, the film took home the awards for best director Cody Brown, best non student actor, the golden coffee cup for best use of coffee, and best use of English teacher Darren Johnson. Despite the difficulties, the night brought smiles and laughs to the audience, and can go down as another in a long line of Thespian success stories.