32°

iQuiz, better than QuizBowl

Do you happen to know and/or memorize random facts? Do you like shows such as Jeopardy, The Weakest Link, or Cash Cab? Did you fail to make the Quiz Bowl Team? If you said yes to any of these questions, then iQuiz may be the intramural “sport” for you! iQuiz, short for intramural Quiz Bowl, is a game of wits between two teams. The club was created three years ago by former Ames High student Lawrence Chiou. Each week, the set of questions if themed after something, such as Films and TV shows, science, history, pop culture etc. A “toss up” question is given and the first team to get it right gets points. However, if a team gets it wrong, no member on that team can answer, giving the other team free reign over that question. The team that gets it right gets a set of three bonus questions to get even more points. The team with the most points wins. Last year the Slammin’ Salmonz won. “I’ve participated in iQuiz for two straight years. This is my third.” Junior Tommy Pitcher and member of team Fixed Action Pattern said. “And yes, I was the highest scorer last year for like three straight weeks.” iQuiz hosts some tense rivalries as well. “Tommy’s team sucks. His team got sixth place last year.” Sophomore Hill Wang said. “Team Hill’s Wangs is obviously going to win.” Although iQuiz isn’t the typical intramural sport, it still has lots of characteristics similar to other sports. People practice to be the best, they trash talk, and they compete for bragging rights. Do you know about films? Do you know random facts about the Earth? Are you Ken Jennings? Then join iQuiz! Next year…