32°

Adele breaks no new Ground

I’m not a big listener of the “modern popular music” stations, mostly because I have a fiery hatred for all songs written by, performed by, or including Katy Perry, and every other song on those stations is one of her atrocities. However, in late 2010 and early 2011, a new sound took America by storm, and it was actually interesting: it did away with the four on the floor, four chord nature of most other modern music, and replaced it with an almost Aretha Franklin type sound. The song was “Rolling in the Deep,” by Adele. At first, I could only think that it was pretty good. However, the weeks went on, and as humans are wont to do, I grew exhausted of hearing how Adele “could’ve had it all.” Then came the next hit; slightly slower and sadder. Somewhat more average. That’s when the American music scene exploded in her favor. In early 2012, “Rolling in the Deep” became the most downloaded song by a female artist in American history, passing the horror that was “Poker Face” by Lady Gaga – I suppose there is at least some justice in the world. The production line just kept churning out factory-molded, popular tripe. Emotional piano, slow tempo, and sadness. All the same. Adele appeared to be an interesting sound when she first became known here in America. However, she deceived us. She was not and is not different. She is a wailing banshee Englishwoman that Americans can apparently listen to all day. Now, I don’t want to sound pretentious, although I probably do. I know that Adele is popular, and that a great many people really do enjoy her songs. Maybe as an 18-year-old Ames kid I just can’t relate to her unending tales of heartbreak. However, I’m not going to pretend to understand why people seem to find her and her music so interesting and refreshing. Unfortunately, Adele’s music has invaded the Ames High hallways during passing period – and nothing sounds stranger to me than hearing “Someone Like You” followed by “Hotel California” – one is a classic, strange, and original tune. The other could be mistaken for any number of balonga-laden popular breakup tunes. You can like Adele’s music. And Adele can sing about her sorrow until the sun engulfs the earth and all that we’ve ever known or will know has been destroyed as the atmosphere sets alight and the skies burn red. But don’t pretend she’s different. She may have been – “Rolling in the Deep” was a welcome deviation – but no longer. If you like her music, that’s fine, but understand that it is indeed cookie-cutter.