46°

Dr Watson, I presume?

In this day and age, things such as Netflix and Hulu havemade it increasingly easy to watch television shows. Along with this, there hasbeen an increase in the number and variety of TV shows. As more and morerubbish (such as Jersey Shore) floods the airwaves finding a quality show hasbecome increasingly difficult. However, the show Sherlock, a fairly recent BBCproduction provides a diamond in the rough. A Sherlock Holmes story set inmodern times, with texting replacing telegraphs and taxis replacing horse drawncarriages, the show provides a fresh take on a famous collection ofstories. The lead actor, BenedictCumberbatch provides a superior Sherlock as he is able to perfectly present thecold and calculating Holmes that Sir Arthur Canon Doyle imagined. The characterof Watson, played by Martin Freeman, is also an excellent choice for theconfused and loyal sidekick. Likewise the plotline stays consistent withDoyle’s stories but as opposed to religiously following the story line, thecreators of the show, Steven Moffit and Mark Gatiss, are able to expand beyondthe reaches of the story and add their own unique spice to the storiedtradition of Sherlock Holmes. Each episode lasts an hour and a half allowing the viewer toimmerse themselves into the show. The episodes are filled with allusions to theoriginal stories and are able to thoroughly develop characters, while stillmaintaining a fast paced and creative narrative. The creators also have a habitof adding cliff hangers at the end of each season which only serves to add tothe creativity of the show. For a more in depth summary of the episodes I wouldinvite you to check out the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(TV_series ),although I should issue a spoiler warning as reading the summary of theepisodes before actually watching them will ruin most of the intensity. The show is also able to do all the little things, such asthe soundtrack and the wardrobe, correctly. For example one of the best scenesof the two-season show occurs in the finale of the second season whereMoriarity (the dominant villain) is stealing the Crown Jewels of England. Setto Rossini’s opera The Thieving Magpie the scene perfectly mixes soundtrack and modern cinematography with the famoustales of Doyle’s Victoria England. This next youtube link is off Moriartystealing the jewels although the uploading changed the original song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yx9P6BI5pM Now take that video footage and add this as the backgroundmusic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBkkDzdJ4-0 I’ll let you be the judge, but this is clearly some superiorshow making.