33°

Senior senate makes important decisions

Tucked away in Room 15, a small group of seniors plough away at making important decisions pertaining to their final year. Senior Senate, a club run by special education teacher Mrs. Micalone, meets every Tuesday afternoon after school to discuss the details that make graduation and the senior picnic run so smoothly. They also host the two blood drives that occur each year. “The Senior Senate members plan the two blood drives every year and get to choose the design for the t-shirts that are given out after you donate. They also plan the senior picnic that is held after graduation rehearsal,” explained Micalone. “Other responsibilities include choosing the class motto, class flower and class color information for the graduation invitations, sending out voting information so seniors can choose the teachers who read names at graduation, and holding auditions and rehearsals for students who want to speak at graduation.” With so many things to do, it would seem that a small army would be needed to carry out the variety of tasks at hand. However, these duties are accomplished by a group of merely ten students. “It is open to any senior and usually has between five and ten students,” said Micalone. “This year we have ten students who are involved- my largest group since I’ve started!” Senior Senate provides students with the opportunity to get involved with both volunteer work and the decision-making process of what their senior year looks like. With a lively group of seniors in the club this year, Micalone is looking forward to a productive and enjoyable time. “The meetings are only supposed to last 30 minutes, but the students will usually stay later just to talk,” said Micalone. Senior Senate is always welcoming new members, and is an excellent way for seniors to have a say in their graduation celebration and be able to give back by running the blood drives. Stop by Room 15 on Tuesdays after school if you are interested!