59°

What happened to Disney Channel?

Disney Channel used to be so good. In fact, it used to be my go-to channel on the television- whenever I was bored, I knew there would be some excellent entertainment waiting for me. However, these days I am frightened to press the “3-9” on my remote that used to take me to my safe haven. Instead of being welcomed by the fresh tween faces of Hilary Duff in Lizzie McGuire or the Sprouse twins in The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, I am bombarded by ridiculous, so-called “actors” in shows like Sonny With A Chance and Austin and Ally. Disney has literally been overtaken by untalented children and turned into a producer of lame plot lines with no depth. If you really want to subject yourself to that kind of torture, you can watch current episodes of the latest series on http://disney.go.com/disneychannel/ . I mourn the days of That’s So Raven, Lizzie McGuire, Hannah Montana, and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. These shows provided good, wholesome entertainment- the innocence of Hilary Duff in her teenage years and superstar Miley never failed to delight audiences with their crazy antics. I remember watching The Suite Life and wishing I could live in a hotel with London and Maddie, and wreak havoc on Mr. Mosby with Zack and Cody. Now when I pause on Disney Channel while trying to find something to watch, shows like Shake It Up and ANT Farm infest my soul. They have zero content, and their immature sense of humor makes me want to cry. One episode of Shake It Up was entirely devoted to the main characters attempting to stomach an oversized meatball. Seriously Disney Channel, what the hell? All I can say to that is thank goodness for Netflix. (If you’re feeling nostalgic like I am, check out past shows at https://signup.netflix.com/ .)