39°

An exciting MLB season is ahead of us

This year is sure to be an exciting year for major league baseball. After all, there is a new team in the American League: the Houston Astros. This move that may end up helping the Astros in terms of division difficulty has created season-long interleague play. While this offseason may not have had as much controversy as last year’s with the whole Ryan Braun fiasco, there were a few huge moves made by some teams that sure make them look a whole lot scarier. Probably the most notable case is the non-stop signing and trading of the Toronto Blue Jays. This offseason, they have acquired faces such as Jose Reyes, R.A. Dickey, Emilio Bonifacio, Josh Johnson, Mark Buerhle, and Melky Cabrera. Out west, the Dodgers and the Angels have bolstered their rosters up a ton with the Angels acquiring Josh Hamilton, and starting pitchers, Joe Blanton, Tommy Hanson, and Jason Vargas. The Dodgers made an even bigger splash with their blockbuster trade for Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, and Carl Crawford. They also signed the much desired ace, Zack Greinke as well as Korean all-star pitcher, Hyun-Jin Ryu. It seems that every single team has entered the season stronger than they were last year except for the New York Yankees. The Yankees lost all-star Nick Swisher to free agency, and Phil Hughes, Michael Pineda, Curtis Granderson, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, and Mark Teixeira all starting the season off on the disabled list. The current Yankees’ starting lineup seems to be made of either kids who have yet to prove themselves, or have beens who are way past their prime. With an even number of teams in each league now, greatly improved teams all around, and interleague play for the entire season, this year’s major league is sure to be one to be remembered. It really seems like it can be anyone’s year this year, but look for the strong competition of some greatly-improve underdogs, the Cleveland Indians, the Milwaukee Brewers, the Toronto Blue Jays, and the Seattle Mariners.