A Multitude of Madi’s

(alternatively spelled Maddie, Mattie, Maddy, or Matty)

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Multitude of Madi’s

My name is my identity. It’s the name that I write on every paper, the name that drives social connections, and the name that I’m stuck with for the rest of my life. I’m my own person. I have my own quirky character traits, my own dreams and aspirations, and my own personality. I am Madi, a unique individual, but it just so happens that millions of other people share my name. Sometimes, a day in the life of a Madi isn’t so unique.

7:50 AM: The Starbucks barista spelled my name wrong… again.

9:06 AM: I heard someone say my name in the hall, so I turned around. Turns out that they weren’t actually talking to me, so I was forced to make awkward eye contact with them and the other Maddie. Maybe I should just stop talking to people.

11:37 AM: At least the substitute teacher didn’t butcher my name when they were taking attendance. I guess having a top 100 name has its perks.

12:46 PM: I hate when people jokingly try to yell at me using my full name, especially when they call me Madison. My full name is Madeline. Not Madison, Madelyn, Madelaine, Madelene, or Madilyn.

1:55 PM: Forget the perks. If you’re gonna refer to me as my last name to distinguish me from the other Maddie’s, at least pronounce my last name right.

2:31 PM: Being in class with another Madi sucks, especially when you’re sitting near them. Are you calling on me, or her?

4:47 PM: The only avaliable twitter handle for my name is @madi_008647892. Nice.

6:00 PM: My friends invited the other Maddie and forgot to invite me. Sweet.

7:22 PM: The only thing that rhymes with Madi is “fatty”, but don’t you dare call me Fatty Madi.

8:24 PM: Did you know that I’m 3x more likely to be a victim of identity theft because of having a common name?

9:08 PM: People have so many Maddie’s on their phone that I get accidental texts at least twice a week.

11:03 PM: Wait, how many Maddie’s are gonna be called across stage at graduation this year? 5? 6?
11:55 PM: Urban Dictionary says that Madi’s are “very cute and lovable people”. True, true. Being a Maddie can be tough, but I’d never change my name. Maddie’s rock.

Madi Franco, Reporter

Madi is a senior and this is her first year participating in The Web. Madi loves exploring her creative side, whether it be through art, writing, music,...