Life is worth living

Back to Article
Back to Article

Life is worth living

Zoe Mamakos, Reporter

Life is worth living.

The everyday routine. The constant argument with your alarm clock as it shakes, ringing 7:00. Again. A brand new day. You sit up in bed, accepting the idea that it’s not quite summer yet. Followed by your parent’s words of encouragement floating out the door, as you promise to “have a good day.” Driving the same route, turn at the stop sign, yield to the same green bike, and turn into the boundless parking lot (as long as you make it before 7:45). It gets tiring, as the seasons pass you by, waiting for the next. You’re told to “live in the moment” and “make the days count,” but what if it all seems the same? Is this really worth it?

I’m just going to go right out and say it –

Life is worth living.

Maybe it doesn’t seem like it right now, but don’t you want to know what’s after this stage in your life? You could be swimming with pink dolphins in the Amazon or climbing Mount Everest someday, how would you know? The point is, this world has plenty of things waiting for you – if you believe in it. Believe in yourself, believe that you have the strength to get through this time of your life. It’ll be over before you know it.

There are about two months of school left, yeah that’s right, TWO MONTHS. These two months just might be the absolute best months of your life, so why not embrace that? Wear that dress, strut proudly through the halls of Ames high in your favorite sweatpants, whatever you’re feeling. Realize that a grade on your report card doesn’t define who you are.

You are entirely up to you, so go on, make tomorrow the new best day of your life. I know that it’s easier said than done, but just try to create the life you’ve always dreamed of. Wake up each new day with a purpose, it may be something completely abstract but you have no idea what you can accomplish with the right mindset.

High school seems to block that sometimes. I know it doesn’t seem like much, a mere set of 4 years in the grand scheme of life. Known by its’ reputation hatred seems like the majority of reality. What some people don’t see is the flicker of beauty within the period of time – the beauty of indescribable friendships, the sense of happiness from a job well done, and memories – millions of them, flooding your subconscious every single time you glance through your camera roll. We live for moments like these.

If you’ve made it this far, you are amazing. Each and every one of you. The cool thing about you is that you’re different, unique, and brilliant. We will all get through the next two months of school together, but for now, enjoy it. The raw, intense beauty of pure life. It won’t be perfect, no one is, but you can make it extraordinary. For life is worth the trouble, the tears, and the everyday journey to reach… a new tomorrow.

Is life worth living?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...