Review of a book about romantically inclined math

Serena Paulson, Managing Editor

An abundance of Katherines. More like an abundance of nerdy jokes and footnotes. This John Green novel was not only mathematically brilliant and fugging hilarious, but encourages the readers to think not only about their futures, but how one can end up repeating the past if the same mistakes are made, like dating 19 girls named Katherine and continually getting rejected.

Overall, it was a really great book. It was refreshing work of literature, with its plotline not built around a love struck teenage girl. Colin Singleton, a heartbroken high school graduate, made a great main character with his motivation to be more than his title as a prodgy and actually matter. His friend, Hassan, added extra humor to the story. Hassan’s laid back lifestyle contradicted a lot of what Colin wanted to be, as he enjoyed spending his time plastered to the TV and was (almost) eternally glued to the couch. That doesn’t exactly put you down in history for being one of the greatest minds of the age, which is what Colin was aiming for.

Although the climax of the book included him falling for a new girl (at least her name was Lindsey) and finally getting over his lost love, Katherine(s), it turned out to be not completely cliche. The whole “lets mope around” thing really worked for Colin as he spent most of his time being sad to formulate a long and highly complicated equation to predict relationships. The book plays into a lot of what high school relationships are like, with one person getting overly attached to the other, or like in Hassan’s case, people cheating and hooking up with one another in inappropriate locations.

10/10 would definitely read this book again. Or just bang in a graveyard. Like said before, inappropriate locations.