Cat People Vs. Dog People

Sahar Sebghati, Reviews Editor

Trillium_Poncho_cat_dog

Most people will be able to tell you within 5 seconds if they prefer dogs or cats. Ever wonded why you gravitate towards dogs more? Cats? It’s likely because your personality fits the framework of either a dog, or a cat. The choice between the two can reveal a lot more about you than you’d think.

Dog people tend to be more outgoing, lively, and are generally more extroverted. Cat people are quiter, introverted, and score higher on intelligence tests. This could be a result of the kind of environments that dog/cat people favor, according researcher Denise Guastello. Guastello is an associate professor of psychology at Carroll University in Wisconsin. She shared findings at the Association for Psychological Science meeting.

“It makes sense that a dog person is going to be more lively, because they’re going to want to be out there, outside, talking to people, bringing their dog,” she said. “Whereas, if you’re more introverted, and sensitive, maybe you’re more at home reading a book, and your cat doesn’t need to go outside for a walk.”

If you live in a smaller place and aren’t an outdoorsy type of person, it might make sense why you would prefer a cat. They show more affection than dogs and prefer a more controlled, and quiet environment.  If you live an athletic life then a dog may be best suited for you. They would be able to keep up with your lifestyle and enjoy your favorite activities with you.

Do your Saturday nights consist of Netflix and reading? Cat. Do you like to go camping a lot? Dog.

“I prefer dogs because they aren’t as individualistic as cats. They depend on you, which makes them love their owners more. They’re more of a friend,” says senior Camie Petrich.

Aspen McNace adds, “Cats creep me out, and I’m allergic to them.”

“I have two cats and no regrets.” Ali Sandler.