What is National Honors Society?

Esther Lee, Reporter

“Attention National Honor Society members: we will meet on Tuesday in the multi-purpose room”

You may have seen this announcement on TV monitors and heard it on the announcements. Have you ever wondered, what exactly is National Honors Society?

National Honors Society is a nation-wide organization with several chapters across U.S high schools. The purpose of National Honors society is to create enthusiasm for scholarship, stimulate a desire for volunteer service, promote leadership, and encourage character development. Sponsored by business teacher Rhonda Schmaltz, Ames High School National Honors Society participates in multiple volunteer events and fundraisers throughout the year, building on the four basic pillars of scholarship, service, leadership, and character.

This year, National Honors Society began with an online fundraiser to raise money to buy gifts for the Youth and Shelter Services Holiday Giving Event. NHS was able to provide small gifts for 70 children who normally would not get to enjoy presents during the holiday season.

Amidst fundraising, NHS members also participate in several volunteering events.This year, members enjoyed “scaring” little kids at Reiman Gardens’ “Spirits in the Garden” event for Halloween. Members also played instruments at the “Breakfast with Santa” event and enjoyed Christmas caroling at local retirement homes.

The two main events that define NHS are Character Counts and Meals from the Heartland. For Character Counts, NHS members prepare activities for elementary school students, teaching them values such as perseverance, dedication, or leadership, For Meals from the Heartland, members fundraise throughout the year, with a goal of $5000, in order to package meals for hungry people in our community and beyond.

So, if you are a high-achieving student looking for a stimulating, fun-filled volunteer organization, consider applying for National Honors Society. There might be a place for you in the big multi-purpose room on tuesdays.