57°

Obituary – Chelsen Peter Kon Jong

Ames High School Student Chelsen Peter Kon Jong Passed Away on September 16th, 2023.
    Chelson Peter Kon Jong, known by her family, friends, and teachers as Nosha, has her picture taken while sitting in a chair.
    Achol Steven Akot
    Chelson Peter Kon Jong, known by her family, friends, and teachers as “Nosha”, has her picture taken while sitting in a chair.

Ames High School student and senior Chelson Peter Kon Jong, known more commonly by her teachers and friends as Nosha, passed away on 09/16/2023.

Nosha, ethnically Dinka and South-Sudanese, grew up in a refugee camp in Egypt. In April of 2022 she immigrated to America with her parents, making this year her third at Ames High.

“Nosha was shy at first but was really eager to get to know her new home even though she spoke very little English,” said Kris Kranjovich, Nosha’s ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher.

She was a very sweet person. She had a beautiful smile.

— Andrea White

In class Nosha was attentive and picked up new concepts quickly. She had wanted to be a DJ when she grew up. 

“Nosha was one of those people who tended to do a lot of ‘call-outs’ in class,” said Andrea White, another of Nosha’s ESL teachers. “She was a very sweet person. She had a beautiful smile.” 

Nosha was also very close with her family. “She was very happy when her cousins got here. They were inseparable,” said Kranjovich. 

The loss is felt particularly by the South-Sudanese community in Ames, who have come together in support of Nosha’s parents and extended family. 

“It’s been very hard on all of us. It’s very hard to lose a person so young,” continued Kranjovich. 

Nosha is survived by her younger sister, who attends the Ames Middle School, and her parents.