60°

Ames High ESL teachers

ESL Students go through a long process.
ESL+students+get+a+picture+taken+while+learning+a+new+vocabulary.+
Ethel Navarro
ESL students get a picture taken while learning a new vocabulary.

Understanding is difficult for them at first, and there are no clear advantages or disadvantages, but it is great to observe how students are developing. Establishing communication ensures that students know there are ways to communicate with you, and communication isn’t just language, it’s not just talking. We communicate in hundreds of ways every day, so the hardest part is making sure students are comfortable knowing that their teachers can work with them.

Teachers love seeing their  students start to speak English, even if they’re just learning it from their peers at school. It’s so wonderful to see them learn English, and to know that they can communicate and meet new people is a huge achievement for them. 

“I have found that teaching has been a great source of enjoyment for me since I began my career as an ESL teacher. I enjoy the atmosphere of my classroom, the diversity it brings to the tables, and the sense of comfort and safety that comes with it. I also find it thrilling to observe students achieving their goals. I would like to emphasize to my students that everyone is learning, and that not everyone is perfect. Additionally, I believe that learning in a language other than one’s own can be incredibly rewarding. I strive to be supportive to my students, and if they require assistance from a teacher, I will go and speak to their teacher to ensure that everyone is heard and comprehended” said ESL teacher Mrs. White. 

Their routine consists of a warm-up in class, a game, and focus on vocabulary. Additionally, they utilize quizlet, Kahoot, paper and Google Classroom assignments. ESL teachers may find it difficult to stay on track with their students but they don’t give up, they keep finding ways to help their students. They also visit their classrooms to make the learning process more engaging and accessible. “In my role as an ESL teacher, I am responsible for a variety of tasks, including providing support, organizing, and developing curriculum. Additionally, I am often required to identify and adjust lessons to the individual needs of my students” said ESL teacher Mrs.Foster. This is what sets ESL apart from other courses. Teachers strive to identify and address the specific needs of students, as they can vary greatly due to the emergence of new students. It is their passion to make a difference in the lives of these students, and it is gratifying to see that they do.