50°

New Policies Get Students and Teachers Talking

With a change in principals this year, students were expecting some school policies to change as well. However, hardly anyone was prepared for where the changes actually took place. This doesn’t mean the changes were bad, extreme, or in any other way uncalled for. However, the student body has mixed reactions to the school’s policies changing so quickly. There were several changes that took place in the management of the high school, but not very many of them will directly influence the way students go about their day. Those that will affect the student body are, according to new principal Spence Evans, as follows: no hats or sunglasses worn in the building; a consistent tardy policy for the entire building with every three tardies per class resulting in an hour of Saturday school with Principal Evans; and no walking down academic hallways ten minutes into the lunch period unless carrying a pass. Aside from these, everything is the same as last year, with the exception of the new bell, which is a whole other issue. Perhaps the most debated issue is the rule on hats and sunglasses. Principal Evans says this is a matter of respect to the building and teachers, though some students disagree. “If the teachers don’t care, I don’t see why [Principal Evans] should, since he isn’t in the classroom teaching us,” said an anonymous sophomore. “If he wants us to take off our hats and show respect when we see him in the halls or when he comes in to our classroom, that’s one thing, but don’t make it for the entire building.” Others have a much more practical approach as to why we should be allowed to wear hats. “I get really cold in winter,” said junior William Rekemeyer, “so I need to wear a stocking cap.” However, realistically, the students who are screaming bloody murder for having to take off hats are actually a bit of a minority. “I’m fine with no hats,” said senior Tom Gehring. “I don’t wear one anyway.” The new tardy policy is also causing a big stir. Students really don’t like to even think about school on the weekend, so it would stand to reason that they would hate the idea of having Saturday school for a whole hour. “It’s boring,” said a student who had attended a session of Saturday school. “You just sit there and work.” However boring Saturday school may be, it does seem to work fairly well. “I had one student who was late every day for the whole first week of school,” English teacher Charles Ripley said. “She went to Saturday school, and guess who was on time for Monday!” The least-discussed policy change is the new rule on not being in the hallways during lunch. This rule has brought almost no change since people really only go to the courtyard, and that’s still on the list of approved destinations. Overall, the policy changes have been met with a general tolerance by the student body and faculty. Most teachers are happy with the changes. “I’m totally supportive of them,” said English teacher Giney Seibert. “They are fair and respectful.” “They work,” said Ripley. Some students, however, are just impossible to please. “I’m just angry >:( !” said a certain anonymous senior named Chris Hinojo.