48°

Lights, Camera, Fashion!

This year’s Ames High Fashion Show was a must-see event filled with lots of fun and surprises. Put on by the Fashion Club and entitled “Lights,” this show was a completely student-run event, and included all student-submitted designs modeled by students. There were twenty-two designers and thirty-eight models, all with their own sense of what fashion meant to them. While certain models and pieces were more serious than others, I must say that, off the bat, I was pleasantly surprised by the maturity of some of the designs. Being that this was a high school fashion show, I wasn’t expecting much real “fashion” but found myself actually imagining wearing a few of the designers’ outfits. Between the fabulous DJs, Louis Dupuis and Hangil Lee from Super Robot Baby, and the tremendous effort put on by the lighting designers Scott MacDonald and Alex Canfield, the show was really a “had to be there” kind of experience. The Salon Professional Academy did all of the hair and makeup which only added to the ambiance. Part of the proceeds from the show went to the tsunami relief effort, and there was even a surprise prom invite from Bryan Graveline who asked Heawon Yoon. Many awards were given out including Best Collection which went to co-designers Renee Chang and Vera Zhao. The judges were three ISU fashion majors who seemed to enjoy the show just as much as the audience did. Lyla’s Boutique also modeled some of their fabulous clothing for their favorite spring trends while the judges deliberated. Most creative piece went to Allison Clem. Most Marketable piece went to Katie Moore. Judge’s Choice went to Natalie Jackman. Best Model, which when to Liza Kroeschell. For anyone who didn’t go: you should’ve–it was a blast!