46°

Winter Madness

Winter madness is a week of activities coordinated by the Ames High student council and in honor of the Mayan doomsday prediction this year’s theme for winter madness is: “It’s the End of the world as we know it and we feel fine.” All proceeds from the events are used to purchase Christmas gifts for needy families through the MICA foundation. This year Student Council has a series of exciting events set up throughout the week. The fun starts on Saturday, December 15th with the Battle of the Bands. This is a concert from 7 until 10 at the high school auditorium that features local high school bands. This year’s lineup features several up-and-coming underclassmen bands as well as Battle of the Bands veterans such as Kick Like a Lion, Triggerfish and Jaw Harp Potential. Additionally this year features a special treat, as Ames High alum Leslie Hall will be mc-ing with the help of Ames high senior Daniel Delay. Known for her wacky jokes and eclectic manner Leslie Hall should provide a uniquely flavored spice to the event. On Monday, the 17th the week of winter madness official kicks off with a pajama day where students are encouraged to come to school dressed in their sweats or pajamas. On Monday night, there will be the student-staff basketball game, where a team of seniors will clash with a teacher team led by renowned English teacher James Webb. Tuesday is hat day, where for the low price of only $1, students will be able to wear a hat for the entire school day. Additionally Tuesday will feature a showdown of epic proportions, as the Ames High quiz bowl team will take on a teacher team during second lunch. Wednesday is another wacky clothing day as students are encouraged to wear their ugliest sweater. Thursday is Thermal Thursday so make sure to bundle up in your warmest clothing. Thursday is also the day of the first ever Winter Madness dodgeball tournament. The tournament will take place from 7 pm till 10 pm and depending on the number of teams, the structure could be anything from a single elimination tournament to a round robin with a playoff. The fun ends on Friday, the 21st, which, according to the Mayan calendar, is the last day of the world. Due to this Friday is aptly named Dress Like It’s Your Last Day, where students are encouraged to wear the outfit that they would wear if it were their last day alive (as long as it’s school appropriate). We look forward to a fun-filled week and hope you are all as excited as we are! Stay Frosty Ames High,