Adios Sra. Billings, ¿Hola Jurg?

Hayley Martens, Campus Life Editor

Spanish 4 has long been a subject taught by Mrs. (Sra.) Billings. She has been here for 15 years teaching students the complexities of Spanish grammar and introducing the basics to new learners. This year (2017) will be Sra. Billings’ final year at Ames High.

When asked what she will miss about Ames High she said, “I am going to miss working with colleagues who have become good friends, making connections with students and welcoming them back after they graduate, and I will greatly miss being able to speak Spanish often on a daily basis.”

Her choice to retire was rooted in the importance to her of spending time with her family and because she is so passionate about Spanish and education her work frequently extended well beyond the school day.

“My family is so important to me and my husband and I are blessed to now have seven grandchildren (five are ages 5 to one month). They grow up so quickly and time is precious. My husband has been retired for three years. My retirement will allow us more time to spend with family and hopefully do some traveling,” said Sra. Billings.

The upcoming school year a veteran of Ames High might have her teaching duties shuffled around and hopes to be taking on the role of the Spanish Four teacher. Mrs. Jurgensen who has been at Ames High for 20 years has long taught Spanish 2 and 3 will be switching it up and teaching 3 and 4.

Although, she said when asked what she will be teaching next year that, “However Mr. Evans is the all powerful one,” so it’s not set in stone yet.

Sra. Jurg. would be  excited to teach the upperclassmen because, “They are civilized humans and she appreciates them!”

Both Billings and Jurgensen stressed the importance of learning a foreign language and that if a student is considering challenging themselves with Spanish 4 they should sign up!

“¡Claro que sí! Take advantage of as many learning opportunities as possible! Students have to be willing to put forth the effort required to progress in their language skills. ¡Practicar = Mejorar!” advised Billings.

Jurgensen’s advice was short, sweet and to the point, “Do it! Take the class, We will have fun!” Having fun in Jurg’s class I can fully agree with, as she is always insinuating a joke or calling out a student.

“Do it! Take the class, We will have fun!”

— Sra. Jurg

If you are like me and had incentive to take higher level language because of the trip, do not fear! It’s still sticking around, although Jurgensen won’t be a part of it.

“The spain trip is Mrs. Dunkin’s baby. I don’t touch other people’s babies,” she said.

Whether you struggle with Spanish or it’s your favorite class, learning a language is a valuable skill that can make you stand out from a crowd. In Spanish Four you learn grammar, culture, vocab, phrases and more. If you are on the fence, just do it. Sign up and give yourself an opportunity you wouldn’t have had otherwise.

“Education is the key to opening doors to opportunities. Learning another language creates unlimited opportunities,” said Billings.