Student-Athletes Sign for the Future

Joel Devick, Staff Reporter

As expected from a historically rich athletics department here at Ames High, many banner worthy moments have occurred this year for the program. This year, there was the boys basketball triumph at substate to get back to the State tournament at Wells Fargo Arena for the first time in 4 years. Marcus Coleman won the state wrestling title at 152 pounds and Harrison Townsend placed 6th at 220, respectively. The Fall Cheer team won their state competition. The list could go on and on, and it could feature a few more accolades come the end of the year since the spring season has only barely started.

One thing that is a direct byproduct of a great prep-athletics program here at AHS is a few of those successful kids here will move on to be student-athletes at universities and colleges next year. On April 15th, Gage Eller, Hank Swalla, Caroline Marnin, Dane Van Allen, and Maggie James signed letters of intent to play for several universities in their respective sports. It was a big moment for all of them to say the least. They join the large group of eight AHS athletes that signed in the Fall to make it 13 Ames Seniors going to be college athletes next year.

All five of the Little Cyclone signees enjoyed accomplished careers here at Ames High. Hank Swalla and Maggie James both signed for Iowa State University here in Ames and will join the wrestling and diving/swimming teams respectively. Caroline Marnin committed to Creighton University to run cross-country. Dane Van Allen signed to swim for the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, and Gage Eller signed to run track at the University of Iowa.

Seeing fellow students here at AHS move onto pursue their path after a career at Ames High is great. Hopefully all who signed this year are hitting their athletic stride for several years beyond this one.