52°

Peanut Buttera god-send or precurser to the apocalypse?

A lot of people eat peanut butter. It’s a big part of American culture, whether you like it or not. Although Dr. George Washington Carver is said to be the father of peanut butter, many people used it before he processed it. People would crush peanuts as a protein substitute for people who couldn’t eat meat. It is probable people invented peanut butter about two seconds after they first saw a peanut. We still crush peanuts today to get that peanut butter taste. For example, I put peanut after peanut in my mouth while chewing just to see how much peanut butter I can make myself. I know others do that, I’m not the only one – I’m just woman enough to admit it. I’ve heard many arguments debating the healthiness of peanut butter. Some positive sides to peanut butter are that it’s a good source of protein, it helps lower your blood pressure, it has a good amount of folic aid (which helps prevent up to 70% of neural birth defects if the mother gets a sufficient amount in the earliest weeks of pregnancy, and helps lower the risk of heart disease), it can cut a woman’s risk for breast cancer in half, and it helps decrease the risk of diabetes in women. On the flipside, the bad thing about peanut butter is that it contains trans fat, which makes the peanut butter more of a solid. Basically, peanut butter affects you in more positive ways than negative. There are many students here at Ames High who enjoy the delicious taste of peanut butter. When I think “peanut butter” while walking through the halls, only one club comes to mind – Sandwich Club. Seniors Kelsey Torgerson and Ellen Heddendorf were ecstatic to share their thoughts on peanut butter with me, along with their advisor, Mr. James Webb. “People in Sandwich Club each prefer their own thing,” said Torgerson. “But as a club, Skippy is the most appreciated peanut butter (brand).” Brands like Skippy and JIF are delicious, but the natural brands are the ones that contain no trans fat. Ellen Heddendorf stepped in and shared her own thoughts. “As a child, I preferred creamy. Now I feel I can handle the more mature taste of chunky peanut butter.” Peanut butter is healthy, simple and fun to eat; it also fits whatever mood you’re in according to teacher James Webb. “Peanut butter is good no matter what mood you’re in. When you’re feeling all smooth and stuff you can have creamy, and when you’re feeling a little nutty, there’s chunky,” said Webb.