69°

Felix has interests and hobbies, too

Though he may spend eight hours or more online on AIM each day, senior Felix Owusu surprisingly finds time stay somewhat productive, creating a whole new meaning for the phrase “second semester senior.” Owusu, known as “fowusu6” by his AIM comrades, has not only joined many new clubs this year, but has also started a new job at Best Buy working as a customer specialist. “Basically, I check people out when they buy stuff and help them with other general stuff,” he said. Owusu works about 10 to 15 hours each week, though it’s difficult to determine how he feels about his time spent there. “I like it just about as much as I can like a job.” Owusu’s interactions with other people have continued to increase through his involvement in organizations such as 100th Green Butterfly, SHEF, Amnesty International, and Progressive Club. With a common theme of promoting the betterment of society, these clubs have helped Owusu realize how much it means to help others. “My family has gotten a lot of breaks in life. We wouldn’t be where we are today without the selfless altruism of others,” he said. “I just like to return the favor, even if it’s to a lesser degree. Also, I enjoy stacking my resume.” Originally from Ghana, Owusu has found a way to incorporate his ethnicity into his daily routine. As an active member of Asian Club, he has found that his status as the only black member has allowed for open communication of his culture through the form of jokes. “I like making black people jokes,” Owusu said. “Being at Asian Club allows for a whole new realm of jokes to be made, because unless I’m there, people can’t really make black jokes without sounding like jerks.” Being able to make fun of his race isn’t the only thing Owusu enjoys as an African. Like all growing teenage boys, Owusu needs to eat, and has taken advantage of Africa’s unique cuisine by eating an unvaried diet consisting of rice and chicken. “The rice is a special African recipe. It’s orange and spicy and made with ginger,” he said. “I eat rice and chicken to stretch out my stomach so I can drink a lot of smoothies.” The smoothies Owusu is referring to are those found at the “Dinner and Desert” restaurant at North Grand Mall. Capable of drinking close to 60 ounces at once without throwing up, Owusu accredits his tolerance to a single source. “Malt liquor.” He later clarified that “that was actually a black person joke.” Though Owusu claims to eat more rice and chicken and drink more smoothies than anyone could imagine, it would be impossible to tell just by looking at him. No doubt, this is partly due to a high metabolism, but also because of his love of athletics. Although an avid biker and disc golfer, Owusu’s true athleticism shines through in his dancing abilities. Owusu’s interests in dance began in the sixth grade, when he first discovered Dance Dance Revolution. “I saw it at a mall in Washington and some Asian guy was really good at it,” he said. “I bought the computer version off of Ebay and have been playing ever since. I’m pretty much the best at it.” Since then, Owusu’s fondness of dancing has grown. “I like to classify my dance style as the kind when I’m at my house and no one’s watching.” Even after joining clubs, working, and making fun of his race, Owusu still finds time to read the occasional book, drive his stick shift like “that badass from The Transporter,” and get ridiculously angry at worthless people in general.