44°

Words Of A True Patriot

If you have a desire to read a book solely about America, you should pick up a copy of I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert (pronounced coal-bear). Stephen Colbert is a right-wing pundit who has his own television show, The Colbert Report. He writes as America, itself, in this satirical, fictionalized, auto-biography to help depict the life of an American. Colbert stays true to his faith and beliefs in this book, yet he delivers an entertaining and laugh-filled perspective on American life. “I love Stephen Colbert. My favorite part of the book is the section on religion,” senior Zeke Musselman said. True. The section on religion is one of the better reads, but the book is not merely limited to poking fun at religious attitudes. The three main parts of the book are My American Childhood, My American Adolescence and My American Maturity, consisting of topics such as sports, the family, animals, religion, and the elderly. Each chapter provides a bit of insight into Colbert’s amazing life. Even though the book is supposed to be the fictional life of Stephen Colbert, it sometimes leaks into the stereotypical American—the ideal, according to Colbert. This ideal American is an appropriate topic for Colbert, who is currently running for President of the United States—but only in his home state of South Carolina. He is running for president as a ‘favorite son’ candidate in South Carolina, where he plans to “compete” in both the Democratic and Republican primaries, according to CBS News. “I promise, if elected, I will crush the state of Georgia,” he told a crowd of sign-waving fans, according to the Associated Press. “Our peaches are more numerous than Georgia’s. They are more juiciful.” Such humerous comments litter his campaign, which is not politically serious. He is, however, clearly making a point. Those who love Colbert’s political gimmick, and appreciate his show—especially his “The Word” segment—will find that the notes in the red margins of the book provide a sense of familiarity for fans. In fact, any fan of Stephen Colbert will find this book, the current #1 New York Times Bestseller for Non-Fiction (beating out Eric Clapton, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, and Alan Greenspan for the top spot), a ride down a familiar river of sattire, attitude, and a huge helping of laughs.