58°

Preparation for one acts is fun, but takes hard work

This time of year as the weather warms and the flowers begin to bloom, the Ames High Thespians are busy at work putting on the annual Senior One Act Plays. This popular event gives Senior Thespians the chance to direct their peers in a one act play of their choosing. There will be three One Act Plays being performed at the event, which takes place on Friday April 11, and Saturday April 12, both at 7:30 pm. The preparation for the plays usually involves a lot of hard work, dedication, chaotic practices, but most of all: fun, according to junior Julia Reynolds. “It gets kind of hectic, but it’s worth it because it is so much fun,” Reynolds said. Reynolds has a role in a play titled “The Weirdest Honeymoon Ever” written by D.M. Bocaz-Larson. It is being directed by seniors Anne Todey and Conrad Lueke. “It’s a pretty funny script that I think the audience will enjoy,” Reynolds said. She did not want to give the plot away, but she did reveal to The WEB that she appears as a pregnant woman in the play, something that she and the cast find incredibly amusing. Reynolds participated in last year’s Senior One Acts in the memorable “Philip Glass Buys a Loaf of Bread.” “I had such a great time last year, I just couldn’t resist doing it again,” Reynolds said. One of the most appealing aspects of the One Acts is that they are completely in the hands of students. This independence lets students direct, act and produce the plays however they see fit. After the directors have chosen their plays, they hold auditions, select their cast and set up their own rehearsal schedule. One additional benefit is the freedom in cast selection. This seems to result in a group of actors that can work well together while still having a great time. “The cast is definitely the best part of doing the plays.” sophomore Grace Warren said. “We have an insane time, but in a good way.” The Senior One Acts are a great opportunity for all Ames High Students to see their classmates perform. So, be sure to mark your calendars for April 11th and 12th.