62°

Dungeons and Dragons

Whether you choose to be a Halfling, an Elf, or a Dwarf, the sheer fact that you are playing Dungeons and Dragons is sure to give you a +2 to Charisma mod. Dungeons and Dragons , abbreviated “D&D” , is a popular role-playing game (RPG), a game in which the players take on the roles of fictional characters. First published in 1974, D&D marked the beginning of modern role-playing games. The game is centered on a set of characters that the players choose. Players can choose among several available races and classes when creating their characters, each with their own special abilities. Each character is represented by a miniature figure or some other piece. These characters form a party of adventurers. The adventurers face many challenges, encounter and fight monsters, and collect treasures. The game is organized by a Dungeon Master, or simply DM. The DM describes the setting of the adventure, as well as encounters with other creatures. It is also up to the DM to interpret the rules and determine the effects of the other players’ actions. “The DM basically controls the game,” junior Peter Dixon said. “Each game has several different outcomes, and it’s up to the DM to choose one. Make sure you don’t have a bad DM, though, because then the game just turns to bollocks.” As the adventure progresses, characters can level up by defeating opponents and gaining experience points. Higher level characters can take on more difficult challenges than can lower level characters. Dungeons and Dragons has inspired many other related products, including magazines, an animated television series, and computer games, to name a few. “There was that episode of Dexter’s Lab that was based on Dungeons and Dragons ”, junior Devin Becraft said. “I don’t really know anything about Dungeons and Dragons , but that episode was pretty fly.” An episode of Futurama also featured Dungeons and Dragons as its plot. In addition to the impact it has made in popular culture, Dungeons and Dragons has also had its impact on the students of Ames High. A few students play D&D religiously, while others play recreationally. Mayhem, the comics and games store, offers people the chance to play D&D and meet new fellow D&D fans. Though it is a relatively popular role-playing game, D&D remains undiscovered to a large population. "I’ve heard of Dungeons and Dragons before , " sophomore Willy Wu said. "I don’t really know how to play it, though. Some of my friends play it, but not me."