48°

Quick Facts about Ames Place Names

Stanton Avenue (by Jeff’s Pizza) was named for E. W. Stanton, a mathematics teacher with an uncanny business acumen who was instrumental to the financial development of Iowa State. He died in 1920. In 1967 Fellows Elementary School was dedicated to Gertrude Fellows, a longtime teacher in the district. Because Fellows consistently churns out brilliant students marked for success, Gertrude deserves the highest praise. David Edwards and Warren H. Meeker, both members of the Ames Board of Education for many years, were memorialized with the creation of two schools in their honor. Workers finished construction of both Meeker and Edwards in 1952. Kate Mitchell, an Ames native, was a primary school teacher and principal at the old Lincoln school until 1952. The Board of Education honored her by naming the new southeast elementary school for her in 1970. Back when the original plans for the Roosevelt school were being laid, upright citizens declaimed the school board’s decision to build a new school (named after president Theodore, of course) because they thought Roosevelt was being built “too far out in the country.” Sawyer Abbie B. Sawyer served as teacher and principal of Crawford for thirty-five years before retiring in 1952. Crawford While good American men were dying in the wretched trench wars against the fathers of Nazis, Louise Crawford was showing our little Ames boys some fighting tricks for tripping up the Nazis in the Second World War. For helping the greatest generation of Americans be great, Crawford Elementary School was, understandably, named after her. Willson Ruth B. Willson worked valiantly to help the mentally handicapped in Ames for years. Willson School was named in her honor. Beardshear was built in 1904 and was named after a president of Iowa State College, William Beardshear, who served from 1891-1902. Razed in 1977, it was replaced by Willson-Beardshear (the now defunct school by Carlo Kind’s house). Samuel W. Beyer, dean of Industrial Science at the early Iowa State College, was called “the father of Iowa State athletics.” Accordingly, the indoor gym is named for him. Welch was the first president of Iowa State University, and a school on 120 South Hyland Ave was named after him in 1906. Stange “I always thought the street sign said Strange ,” anonymous. Pammel, a prominent plant lover, made his mark on the students Iowa State, planting the seeds of passion that George Washington Carver later harvested. Pammel Drive, Pammel Court, and Pammel State were all named in his honor. R. Emmett Carr (1878-1957) was a legendary figure in Ames’ history. He taught carpentry at Iowa State College, operated a dairy, and ran silo-building and sand/gravel extraction companies. He and his wife, who were foster parents for more than 80 children, built Carr’s Pool in 37 days in 1926 and the Carr family operated it until 1973. The pool was run by the city until 2009. Jack Trice, the first African-American to play for the Iowa State Cyclones, died due to injuries from his football game against the University of Minnesota’s team in 1923. The Cyclones’ football stadium was accordingly named after him. Curtiss Charles Curtiss, dean of agriculture at Iowa State from 1900 to 1933, is the bro to whom Curtiss Street was dedicated. Duff Cynthia O. Duff, a pioneer of the city hailing from New York who helped acquire the land for the railway, was honored by the naming of Duff Street (now known as Duff Avenue).